DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Pain/tenderness behind ear?

I know it's hard to diagnose over the web, but for the past few days, I've had a dull pain and tenderness to the touch behind my left ear only. The part that's tender is rear side of the earlobe, where it meets the skull--that boney part. No other symptoms. I don't really want to go into my doctor to have her tell me to wait for it to go away if it's really not a big deal, KWIM?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My only btdt is from various glasses I have worn - I feel indentations in my skull (well, that is what it seems like) from where the frames pushed too hard into my head over the 30+ years I wore glasses. Sometimes when I would get my glasses tightened/adjusted or new ones, or even new sunglasses, I would notice they bother the ear and I would get almost blister like bumps. Is something like that possible?

Is there a physical bump or just the tenderness you mentioned?
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OMG, Sally, I have exactly the same symptoms! Seriously, same ear, same spot! I noticed it in the shower yesterday. I think it probably is a zit, but I can't see it, and DH is deployed. My DC are too young to be any help.

Let me know if you find out what it is.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know that there's a lymph node back there- the occipital lymph node. Dr. Google says it can become inflamed if you have a fungal infection, dandruff or other scalp conditions.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

amm40 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

about a month ago, following a bad cold, I had similar symptoms. I felt pain "twinges" and they'd radiate down my neck several times an hour and it hurt to press behind that ear. I went to the chiropracter, and he said it was a muscle spasm and adjusted my lower back and neck and shoulders area. I was pretty sore for a day or two after, but that did do the trick. Hope you figure it out and feel better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by amm40 View Post
    about a month ago, following a bad cold, I had similar symptoms. I felt pain "twinges" and they'd radiate down my neck several times an hour and it hurt to press behind that ear. I went to the chiropracter, and he said it was a muscle spasm and adjusted my lower back and neck and shoulders area. I was pretty sore for a day or two after, but that did do the trick. Hope you figure it out and feel better soon!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Depends on just where it is, kwim? Could be lymph, could be muscle, could be ear canal, but the TMJ is right there and is often responsible for such pain.

Here's a simple massage that might help: Come forward from your earlobe about 1/2 finger's width and press firmly. Move your jaw - you should feel the back of the joint against your finger. Make sure you're standing straight and holding your head erect. Roll your finger toward your ear (backwards, that is) with a circular motion a few times. (It helps if you do both sides at once.)

Don't know if this will work for you, but hope so!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thanks for the feedback. It's still there, right where the earlobe meets the skull, on the bone in my ear and the bone in my skull for less than an inch each way. No radiating pain. Both the kids have had head colds, but I haven't had any cold sx, so I don't think it could be an EI. No radiating pain. No actual bump, so I don't think it's a pimple. I don't have dandruff. I don't have any clicking or pain in jaw, and it's only on one side, so I don't think it's TMJ. I did read something to the effect that if you are having some tooth issues, pain behind the ear could be "referred pain" from teeth issues. I have several teeth that need work that I've been putting off for several years until I'm done nursing. I don't feel anything in my mouth that hurts, but I wonder if that could be it?

I'll try the massage and maybe call the dr. or dentist if it doesn't go away. It's not bad, KWIM, but tender and that doesn't seem right.

ETA: Oh, I've also read the thing about neck muscle tension and turning your head in one position for too long (like sitting on the sofa on the computer and turning toward the tv at night?) It could also *very* well be muscle tension related.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

I get that pain when my TMJ acts up. I don't get the clicking and it happens more on my right side then the left.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan