jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default When to start trying to schedule sleep?

DS2 is almost 4 months old. He had been going to sleep around 9:30 and waking about 3 times a night for some time but now wakes up 30 mins after I put him down and continues till the wee hours of the night. Should I start trying to schedule his naps? TIA

at that point we were just trying to nap after DD had been awake for about 1.5-2 hours, usually resulting in 3 naps per day. DD is 6 months now, and we have been fairly consistent with naps around 9am, 1pm, and possibly another nap later in the afternoon for about 3-4 weeks now. the thing that helped me the most was learning to trust myself to read her cues. when she starts yawning/rubbing eyes, i know it's time to start the sleep routine. sometimes that is 20 minutes before the time mentioned above, sometimes it's 10 minutes after. i find that i only really have a problem if i try to put her down before she's ready (or if i wait too long, but that's not generally a problem! ).
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family