Default Ergo or Pikkolo for tallish parents/bigger baby?

We have the Baby Bjorn Active and have loved it up until now. But now it is starting to kill our backs. I think that we are interested in a carrier that can be used as a back carrier since baby is getting older and bigger. I would like something that both DH and I could use. I am med. size (5' 6" , 135 lbs.), he is tall (6' 3", 230 lbs). Baby is probably around 25-26 lbs and average height. From research on this board, I think either the Pikkolo or the Ergo will be the carrier for us. Please weigh in with advice!

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The Ergo would work well - your DH probably would need the waist extender...

You will want to have the extra lumbar support for the pikkolo. Another carrier to consider is the Toddler Patapum.

Also check out www.thebabywearer.com for lots more info on carriers.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love my pikkolo.

thanks, anyone else?

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm 5"11 and the Ergo works great for me and OK for my 6'5" 280 lb husband. He will need the waist extender because I need to have the waist strap almost all the way.
    I have no experience with the pikkolo.

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DH and I are about the same weight as you and your DH though slightly shorter. We have the pikkolo. DS is about 22 lbs now. We're both able to use the pikkolo fine. We do have the extra support belt that we've just started to use though probably not necessary just quite yet. I love, love my pikkolo. I use it primarily for front (facing in) and hip carry. I think the primary difference between the Ergo and Pikkolo is Pikkolo's ability to do forward facing front carry.

One great advantage of the Pikkolo over the Ergo is the ability to custom fit anyone who uses it without a problem. My mom who's 4'11 can pass it on to my dad who's 5'8 (we're Asians... short people ) and it fits them very well with just a pull and a tug. You can do it while the baby is already on your body.
    Vanessa

Full-time mommy to Miss Yumi ('08)

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by vahnessuh View Post
    One great advantage of the Pikkolo over the Ergo is the ability to custom fit anyone who uses it without a problem. My mom who's 4'11 can pass it on to my dad who's 5'8 (we're Asians... short people ) and it fits them very well with just a pull and a tug. You can do it while the baby is already on your body.
    The Ergo can also be adjusted with a pull and a tug too...while the baby is on the body.