♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Theraflu while nursing?

just wondering, is it relatively safe to take Theraflu while nursing? is there anything bad about it other than the possible effect on supply (not too concerned about this, plus i have a freezer stash of expressed BM just in case). my main concern is any effects on my son (considering theraflu has alcohol in it)

thing is, i'm feeling pretty crappy as a result of either horrible allergies or a sudden-onset cold (24 hrs ago i was feeling perfectly fine, now i have a throbbing head cold, stuffy/runny nose, sore throat..the works). usually i deal with it ok without meds during the day, the only hard part is sleeping at night. in the past (pre-pregnancy) i would take a shot of Theraflu right before bed and that would work wonders..would let me fall asleep and get a good uninterrupted 8 hrs of sleep. so i was just wondering if it would be ok to take now that i am nursing. i just nursed my son (9pm) and don't anticipate another feeding until 5am at the absolute earliest...so if i took a dose now would it be ok or should i still pump & dump in the morning?

i tried googling this and got mixed answers. was just wondering what BBBers have to say, if anyone BTDT...

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I took a fair amount of Nyquil this winter with a nasty cold and DS was fine. I would take it shortly after my last pump and it was quite a while before my next one. They say to take it every 4-6 hours, so if you can get that amount (or close to it) between feedings I wouldn't worry too much.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thx for the reply. i ended up taking one dose around 11 and then another around 5 am my son was kind enough to sleep till 7:45, which was great cuz i sooo needed the sleep!

i just hope my DS doesn't get sick from me, and that instead he gets the antibodies etc from the breastmilk so he is immune to it. i shudder at the thought of dealing with a sick baby!

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DH and I passed a cold back and forth that we dubbed the "death plague" - we both ended up staying home from work several days with it. DS was fine!

Hope you're feeling better soon
    DS1 - Oct. '09