Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    09Mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default For those of you who were around 40 when TTC

What was your experience like, especially if not your first child?

I was 38 when I became pregnant with DD. We got pregnant relatively quickly.

I would like to start TTC for #2 but DH would like to wait. He thinks everything will be as easy as when TTC #1, but I think that may be a bit optimistic, which he generally is by nature.

naam is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I was a lot younger than you when TTC #2 but just thought I'd share. I was 28 when I conceived DC1 and, like you, had no issues. I started TTC #2 when I was 30 (just after DC1's 1st birthday). I experienced secondary infertility and it took me about 1.5 years to conceive. I was actually told my FSH was high and I had the eggs of a 40-year-old. I was able to conceive without any fertility treatments but I did change my diet and started yoga. Good luck. I don't think you should wait.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I was 2 months from my 37th bday when Dora was born, who was conceived on our 4th try. We did not TTC Arwyn, she just came. Laurel was a "whatever happens will happen" baby, and I got preggo with her 3 months after we stopped using a condom.

I remember a few moms in my local group that had a lot of trouble conceiving #1, then some of them got preggo with #2 on the first try. One of them told me her OB said sometimes #2 comes a lot more easily, esp. if you try earlier, because your body remembers how "to do it."

This is all anecdotal of course. I'm sure statistically it's harder to get preggo as you get older.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

I was 38 when my first was born...tried right away for number 2 but secondary infertility issues. Number two finally came along when I was 42... for which I am extremely grateful to God!

I saw RE for one year when I was 40-41 yrs. old, diagnosis of unexplained infertility, nothing worked and the next step would be IVF

Changed my diet - low carb, whole milk, acupuncture, reduce stress and thankfully, got pregnant on our own.

Some people have no issues but that was not my experience. I was so sad and wishing for another for those 3 yrs until we got pregnant again.

Wish you all the best!!!
    Mom to 2

Don't wait. It's not worth taking the chance.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by stillplayswithbarbies View Post
    Don't wait. It's not worth taking the chance.
    Nope dont wait

I got pregnant the first month I tried the first 5 pregnancies ( 2 m/c) then Jack was not conceived for 3 yrs. We had totally given up and was shocked when he happened

DONT chance it

I was 41 when I did get pregnant
    Last edited by JBaxter; 05-20-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wouldn't wait if you know that you both want another. It won't get any easier to conceive and you won't have any more energy later on
    K

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not to be Debbie Downer, but fertility decreases rapidly after 40. I was 42 when I was TTC. Fortunately, I was living in a major city and had a great OB, so was at the RE 4 months after we were married, with all the testing already done. (FSH, HSG, semen analysis) I had very low FSH for my age (4.x), and DH had a very high semen count - net, everything looked great on paper. We did three IUI's, and I got pg with twins on the second. One was a normal 'vanishing twin'; the other stopped suddenly at 9.5 weeks, likely the result of an implantation clot (not age related). When the next IUI didn't work, the RE suggested moving to IVF right away, as not only was my fertility declining by the month, but the risk of birth defects was growing.

By the time I got pg with DD at 42.11, the risks of a significant birth defect were one in 13. A year earlier they were "only" one in 42. A big difference to me.

ITA with PPs. If it's important to have another, don't wait. I wish I had something handy to recommend your husband read. Lots of people have a false sense of security because it seems like there are a lot of women in their 40s having kids, including celebrities. The thing you don't know is how many of them are using eggs from a 22 year old to do it. You could get your FSH and other numbers checked, just to see. Maybe they'll tell you you have fertility of a younger person. But even then I wouldn't wait. Fertility, as one doc explained to us, doesn't necessarily ebb away. It can "fall off a cliff."

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm another one saying don't wait. It took 6 months of not preventing, followed by 18 months of charting before DS was conceived (I was 39), so don't count on it being easier the second time.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast