Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Which is better-Lansinoh Double pump or Medela PIS Advanced?

I am going to be a first-time mom soon and plan to go back to work part-time after my maternity leave. I am looking at purchasing one of these two pumps (the Lansinoh Double Electric or the Medela PIS Advanced Backpack), and can't decide which would be better. I plan on working 2.5 days, but assume I will be pumping around 2-3x's/day.

From what I've read the advantages of the Lansinoh pump are that it's cheaper, easy to assemble/clean (doesn't sound like it has as many parts as the Medela?), and a big plus is that it is a closed system (so milk can't collect/get stuck in the tubes or back up into the motor, unlike the Medela). I'm not sure how the suction strength of the Lansinoh will be, although the reviews seem to be mainly positive. Oh, and I read that it's easier and cheaper to get replacement parts for the Medela because you have to order the Lansinoh parts through their website and shipping is expensive. I assume you can purchase Medela replacement parts on amazon or in BRU.

I guess I'm leaning towards the Medela at this point, but worry about the milk getting stuck in the system for sanitary reasons. One reviewer said theirs grew mold! Also, I'd rather not spend $130 on the Lansinoh only to find I should have gotten the Medela in the end, so I thought I'd ask if you all have tried them both and can offer comparisons/opinions. Thanks in advance!!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have an Ameda PY, Medela PIS (not Advanced) and rent a Medela Symphyony. I'd tend to pick the Medela over the Ameda as the controls are a little less clumsy, but the Ameda is more portable (at least compared to the PIS). I've never had an issue with milk backing up into my PIS, and I've used it for four kids now. Suction strength is pretty comparable between the Medela PIS and Ameda PY.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i have a Medela PIS Advanced (backpack), so i can just comment on that. I've been using it for about 4 months. So far, love it. Never had issues with mold or with milk getting into the tubes. I did have an issue with condensation getting in there in the beginning, but as the manual says this can be prevented by letting the pump run for a few minutes after you've stopped pumping.

and yeah, it's easy to find replacement parts on the Medela. i got a ton of random pump parts from my hospital, which uses only Medela pumps. my local baby store & BRU carry all the various replacement parts.

and about the cost, occasionally BRU has coupons that can be used towards breastpumps. In the BRU mailing the other day i saw a coupon for 15% off breastpumps, so that's a decent chunk of the $279 price. alternatively, you can get it from a hospital (mine sold it for $250) and have your OB/GYN write a prescription for it so you don't have to pay tax (this is what i ended up doing).

I'm debating the same 2 pumps so I can't offer an opinion, but the Lansinoh double and the Ameda Purely Yours are the same pump. Made by the same company, parts are interchangeable...didn't know if that would help you decide.

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Medelas don't grow mold if you clean the tubing. YOu can easily wipe down the pump as well if you take the front cover off.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like the convenience of a brand that's all over, so I opted for the Medela, especially after learning my hospital was a Medela hospital & I would be EPing during DD's first few days. Another advantage of this is ... I now have 4 complete sets of horns/connectors/membranes because it's so easy to get spare parts in b&m stores. (Though if you need horns larger than 27mm, it's harder.)

Whichever pump you choose, make sure you get the right size horns ASAP to avoid pain or other injuries!!!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I have the Lansinoh Affinity. I do like it a lot although I can't compare to a Medela. In my research it seemed like a good pump for less $. I love the fact you don't need to clean the tubing or pump. It's been one less thing to worry about when I could be sleeping I also discovered the Gerber 5oz clear bottles (3pk $2.50-$3 at Target) fit the pump so I don't have to wash the included two Lansinoh bottles EVERY time like I was foolishly doing at the beginning.
    DS April 2010
    DS March 2016

Another thing that was interesting to me is that used Lansinoh pumps are selling on eBay for only slightly less than I paid for a new one. I'll keep mine around a few months after I quit pumping but if we end up spacing our children out quite a bit it is going on eBay!
    DS April 2010
    DS March 2016

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by c&j04 View Post
    I also discovered the Gerber 5oz clear bottles (3pk $2.50-$3 at Target) fit the pump so I don't have to wash the included two Lansinoh bottles EVERY time like I was foolishly doing at the beginning.
    FYI, this is true for both the Ameda PY and the Medela PIS. In fact, the Ameda and Medela bottles are interchangeable - I have a bunch of each and can use them on either pump (or use my 9oz Gerber bottles).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by catsnkid View Post
    Medelas don't grow mold if you clean the tubing. YOu can easily wipe down the pump as well if you take the front cover off.
    Is it easy to clean the tubing? Do you have to do it after each use?

Thanks everyone for your responses so far! Fyi, I found the Medela PIS for only $210 on bestbuybaby.com with free shipping and no tax. Seems like an amazing deal. I had to email them for the price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast