Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

[QUOTE=AnimalBabe;2733405]I read in reviews that you need to replace the valves very often for the Lansinoh, almost every 6 weeks. Is this true? Do you lose suction over time if you don't? If you need to keep replacing valves/parts the costs of getting spare parts is going to quickly add up. I see you can get replacement valves on the co. website but the shipping cost is outrageous for just those little parts.

Never had to replace the valves when I used it with DD.

I just ordered this kit with DC#2. Had to pay for shipping but I think it was the best price on what I needed/wanted to replace.
    http://www.amedababy.com/product/76-...lansinoh+parts
    Last edited by emily; 05-24-2010 at 12:22 PM.

I meant to ask about the speed--I read the Medela PIS has a let-down feature and the Lansinoh doesn't, so how do you deal with this? I guess you can put the Lansinoh on the fastest speed to start and then turn it down manually after a few minutes? Can you manage changing the speed and suction strength easily if you're not using a hands-free system?

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The PIS does not have a letdown feature. The PISA does. With the PIS and the Lansinoh/Ameda PY, you can easily simulate the letdown phase by manually changing the speed and suction on the pump.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalBabe View Post
    I meant to ask about the speed--I read the Medela PIS has a let-down feature and the Lansinoh doesn't, so how do you deal with this? I guess you can put the Lansinoh on the fastest speed to start and then turn it down manually after a few minutes? Can you manage changing the speed and suction strength easily if you're not using a hands-free system?
    Look at the Lansinoh Affinity. I believe it's just replacing the Lansinoh double electric. You can see the difference in pictures easily. It DOES have a 2 minute let-down feature which you can easily bypass.

I personally feel like it's quite easy to change the settings as I pump.

HTH!
    DS April 2010
    DS March 2016

Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    PISA is a stronger pump but the Lansinoh is certainly good enough to use as your only pump. I would say that I'm able to get maybe an extra oz or two from the PISA.
    Anyone have any different experiences with theirs in terms of total amount you are able to pump? I'm really torn--thinking I might want the Lansinoh now but I don't want to spend longer pumping or not be able to produce as much. I know I'll be pumping twice/day at work and I want a pump that will be very fast and efficient.

Thanks again! Your comments have been very helpful.

I have both. I have a Medela PISA backpack and a Lansinoh.

I used the Medela to pump at work for my DD (I work full time)

When I had DS, I decided to buy a Lansinoh to use at my alternate work location where I go 2 days a week so that I could leave the Medela at my other office.

I have not had good success with the Lansinoh. For me, I just can't get near the amount of milk out of it that I can with the Medela. It seems desirable to have the separate speed and suction dials that the Lansinoh has, but really it was just more confusing and fiddly.

I don't find washing any different for the two. I've never had milk back up into my tubes on the Medela. Because of that you don't have to wash them. If you do, you just swing them around your head to get the moisture out and then let them run on the pump.

so for me, the extra money is worth it. Get the Medela. You can find them for less online, from online breastpump stores. Call for pricing since they can't advertise their lower prices due to Medela policy.

I don't even use the Lansinoh anymore. I just tote my Medela to both work locations even though it is a PITA.

From all the reviews I've read (and that's been a TON) the Medela is also more likely to last you through more children than the Lansinoh.

Default Medela is full of mold after a while

I've used the Ameda Purely Yours and the PISA, and they both did about the same job. I borrowed the PISA from a friend, but then shortly after I read about the issues they have with mold in the pump motor. Switched to the Purely Yours after that. It's been working great for 8 months now.

I've only used the Ameda/Lansinoh one so i can't say personally. (I did exclusively pump for DS1 for 9 months. Having such a great relationship with my pump and wanted to feel like the son we lost had a purpose I did pump for 2 weeks when my milk came in for him donating his milk to a baby's whose mom couldn't produce enough milk.)

My cousin however has used both. The Medela with her first and the Lansionoh with her second. She swears by the lansinoh and wished that she had it with her first. That had she had it with her first she wouldn't have dried up with in a month.
    Last edited by MacMacMoo; 08-18-2010 at 01:58 AM.

You've gotten lots of great response here, but I thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents.

I used my Lansinoh double electric for 13 mo. 3 mo pumping to build a stash for when I went back to work, and about 10 mo while I was at work. I pumped 3x a day at work and 1-3x a day at home (I'd pump one side while DS nursed on the other until my stash was built up and I'd always do this in the morning because I'd be so full from going through the night).

In general I love my pump. I did drop it once and that pretty much messed up the suction so I got a second "used" one. I loved that all I needed when I got the used one was the pump part and there was NO concern about contamination.

I also read that you need to change the diaphrams and valves. I started doing this, but quickly realized that I could have gotten away with about 1-2 sets of diaphrams and 3-4 sets of valves for the entire time I pumped. Basically, they can wear out and you'll notice a "fraying" on the end of the valve or loss in suction because the valve doesn't close all the way. I'm not sure the diaphrams really wore...but they say they can. I think how you wash your parts can affect this, too. I always hand washed in warm water with a mild dish soap.

Anyway, I found that replacement parts (and extra flanges - I found it easier to have 3-4 sets of flanges rather than wash the single set every time I pumped) are available at http://www.lactationconnection.com. I had great customer service and they have replacement packets for valves and diaphrams. The replacement/additional flanges that you get through them are slightly different (I think they are like the ones that come with the Ameda pumps) but they work just fine with the Lansinoh.

It is also VERY easy to change the speed and suction to accommodate for let down etc. I never had to do this, but its as simple as turning a dial.

Hope this helps! Best of luck.
    Last edited by BabbyO; 08-18-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add link

I think that either would be a good choice. Personally, I love my PISA and have never tried the Lansinoh. I pump 3x per day at work. It is very efficient and effective. I have never gotten milk in the tubes (been using it for 3 months) and after reading this I checked the motor and it is clean.

I would recommend that you hold off on buying it until you are sure that breast feeding is going to work for you. It doesn't always work, and it would really stink to have spent all the money. Plus, if it is opened you can't return it, so if you do buy it in advance, leave it in the package until you need it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3