bodey is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default 4 month old twins and airlplane travel

My husband and I will be flying from Oregon to MN (about a 4 hour flight) in July. Our twins will be 4 months old then. I am planning on checking a double stroller at the gate, but i would like to have carriers for the plane ride, so that we can give our arms a break in flight (I know they do not allow babies inside the carriers during take off and landing). I just don't know what carriers to use/buy though. I have a Moby and love it. But i do not want to travel with that. It is too long/cumbersome to deal with in an airplane and i really don't want any part of it touching the floor. I have a baby bjorn, which both babies like, but my back hates it We also have an Ergo, but both of my babies right now are two big to snuggle inside it, but two small to spread their legs and straddle with it. I plan on buying a second Ergo, when the babies get a little older, so i don't want to spend too much money on a carrier(s) for this trip. Any suggestions?

I would suggest a ring sling. They are adjustable so that you or your DH can wear it (although one for each of you would be best, since you have 2 babies), and comfortable to sit in while on the airplane. The tail also makes a great blanket, or nursing cover. I like the Maya wrap ring slings, and Sleeping Baby ring slings. You can find deals on both of these carriers on www.thebabywearer.com FSOT forum.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I use the Beco every time we travel and it has been great. Also, I have been on 21 seperate flights with my 14mo old and only once have I been made to take him out during take off/landing.

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Won't they be big enough to straddle comfortably in their Ergos by July? My daughter was by 4 months. She naps really well in it, even when I'm sitting down (like, in church or restaraunt). We have to readjust when I stand up, but that's easy.

Another thought, if you're in Oregon: a lady sells homemade slings at Saturday Market. activespiritbabyslings.com is her site.

We used her sling since DD was 3 days old (one of the linen ones-best for heat and breathability). The cool thing is that she uses a ergo-type buckle on the sling's shoulder, so it's very easy to get in and out of. No baby-maneuvering which would be a pain in a plane. Because it buckles, it's a little harder to put the sling down on your shoulder for correct ergonomics, but it's do-able. DD loved it for the cradle carry (carefully positioned for safety) and now it works really well for the hip. It's fully adjustable so mom and dad can go back and forth. If you get linen, it folds up TINY. & fully washable.

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oops - I should have specified "Saturday Market" in Portland. I don't know if you live near Portland or not...guess my suggestion isn't very helpful if you don't!

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The babies like the Bjorn, but your back hates it. But you will be sitting most of the time while wearing it on the plane. I would vote for using the Bjorns, or the Ergo if they will be big enough to straddle by then.
    mom to Billy 12/07