Default Help! 2 yo DD suddenly hates daycare!

For the past several days DD2 has gotten hysterical when I left her at daycare. It's a mom who does in-house babysitting. I can't say she is one of those DCP that I feel *absolutely* comfortable with, but I think that's a personality thing. I definitely trust her & DD has loved her until last week.
    Is this a normal stage kids go through around their second birthday? I can't figure out what's going on & it breaks my heart to leave her there screaming.
    FWIW when I call 10-20 mins later she's calmed down. Today she was playing so happily when I came to pick her up that she didn't want to leave.he'She has been more clingy at home as well. The only causes I can think of are some sleep deprivation (she didn't sleep well at all last week and I wouldn't consider her 'caught up' yet) and maybe teething. Please reassure me!
    Last edited by ShanaMama; 05-26-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Stupid iPod typos
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

It could be an age thing or lack of sleep too. Does the DCP have other children in the house? If so, what are their ages? Maybe she's getting used to a new child there?

Unfortunately, in this day and age, you can't be too careful. I would just "drop in" one day while your daughter is there. See what is going on. Do this a few times, at different times of the day. Your DCP should have NO problem with this at all. If she does, I'd be suspicious.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by GonnaBeNana View Post
    It could be an age thing or lack of sleep too. Does the DCP have other children in the house? If so, what are their ages? Maybe she's getting used to a new child there?

Unfortunately, in this day and age, you can't be too careful. I would just "drop in" one day while your daughter is there. See what is going on. Do this a few times, at different times of the day. Your DCP should have NO problem with this at all. If she does, I'd be suspicious.

Beth
    Thanks for the advice. I've actually done this with every DCP I've ever used. I regularly pick up DD earlier than planned without calling first.
    I actually had a bit of a conversation with DD yesterday. She is starting to have more and more words but pretty much understands everything. The conversation was basically:
    me: Do you like going to DCP?
    DD: sweet smile, says YaYa
    me: do you have fun at DCP?
    DD: sweet smile, pretty much same response
    me: does DCP hit? (asked in the same neutral tone as the previous questions)
    DD: look on her face says Ma have you lost your mind? 'No way' (which happens to be her way of saying no and totally funny)

I don't know how much credibility you can give such a discussion with a 22 month old, but at least her body language and instinctive reactions were reassuring.
    Oh, I forgot. The last question I asked was 'so why do you cry when we go?' she just came over and laid her head down in my lap.
    Last edited by ShanaMama; 05-26-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Typos again
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Both my kids went through this stage and also go through it periodically still. DD#1 is STILL not wanting to go to DC some days. She's 6. I'm over it -- I am confident in our choice of facility and know that she is in a great program (ditto DD#2).
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS1 on occasion doesn't want to go to his fantastic preschool. It is an on and off thing. He is nearly 5.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So, it sounds more like she all of a sudden has more difficulty with the transition to daycare as opposed to hating daycare in general? I say this because I think there is a huge distinction between a child having difficulty being dropped off/transitioning to being unhappy at daycare in general/all day. It is difficult to know if this is an age/stage thing since it is new and came on suddenly, though. I agree with the suggestion of showing up unexpectedly during the day. Not only can you check on the dcp, but you will be able to check on your dd. If she is playing happily, that would be very reassuring to me.

I understand why you asked her if dcp hits her, and glad you got a reassuring response, but please be careful with this. At that age, children may just repeat things that are said to them.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes