Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

1/2 of a fresh pear (with skin) was my magic solution. Canned stuff helps, but the fresh was just enough "help" without causing a problem.

I also changed to taking my iron supplements at lunch, instead of at night.

I'm not a fan of actual prunes, but I will drink prune juice and I like baby food prunes. Otherwise, making sure I eat plenty of fruits and veggies.
    That's what has worked for me in my other pregnancies, even the one I had to take an additional iron supplement.

This time, even that didn't work. Boo hoo. I had constipation so bad that I'd also get dry heaves and I didn't even know my morning sickness had ended because I still felt so bad.

Anyway, my midwife recommended colace (stool softener). My prenatal vitamin already has a stool softener, but it obviously wasn't enough. However, I was on metformin and was able to stop it at that point, so I just waited to see if things would clear up then and they did. So, I didn't buy the colace, but I was close.

Of course, after the constipation went away, the hemorrhoids showed up. Sometimes we just can't win.

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ok, so I'm off to the store today..............Magnesium supplements, Fiber Choice Chewables, Miralax, Docusate and Colace are all on the list...........I already have some dried prunes and apples, so hopefully one of them will work for me!!!

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!!

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Forgot to mention that fresh cherries also work great, and taste way better than prunes, IMO.

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newg View Post
    Ok, so I'm off to the store today..............Magnesium supplements, Fiber Choice Chewables, Miralax, Docusate and Colace are all on the list...........I already have some dried prunes and apples, so hopefully one of them will work for me!!!

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!!
    just don't try them all at once!

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by salsah View Post
    just don't try them all at once!
    LOL!! Oh geeze..............that would be awful!!

I ate some prunes this morning and took two Fibre choice tablets when I got back from the store............and was able to go !!!! (kinda a strange, weird and funny thing to celebrate...but I'm a happy girl now!!)

So hopefuly the fiber tabs will be all I need, but I've got enough stuff now that something should be able to help me!!

thanks again for the help ladies!!

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newg View Post
    LOL!! Oh geeze..............that would be awful!!
    not after my c-sections. i was doing all that and then some just to keep things moving.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2