Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Solutions for not being able to "go"...??

This may be a little TMI for some...................

So I had this problem a bit in the first trimester and it seems to have hit me again this week as I enter the last............

I can't go (#2)........I drink plenty of water during the day (64+oz) and I even drink some coffee in the morning (1/2caf.)......We eat plenty of veggies and fruit during the day and I take gas-x on a nightly basis and this weekend I tried taking senokot (sp?) to help me , but that seems to be creating it's own, opposite, problem.
    So now I don't know which is worse...taking the stuff and going too much (which is uncomfortable and painful)......or not being able to go at all (which is uncomfortable and painful)

Anyone else have this problem and find a solution that doesn't seem as bad, or worse, than the problem??

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

btdt. Fiber supplements work well for me -- specifically, Fiber choice chewable tablets. Maybe you can ask your OB what s/he thinks about that option. I have also relied on eating dried prunes, although I haven't needed to eat them during this pregnancy, since the Fiber choice tablets work so well (combined with eating high-fiber fruits).

I hope that you feel better soon. I know it's a PITA literally to deal with this particular problem.

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Prunes. Apricots. Apples. Fiber, fiber, fiber with lots of water.

Taking a walk also helps get things moving.

ETA: For some reason, Arby's ALWAYS does the trick for me.
    Last edited by ewpmsw; 05-27-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added TMI

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kashi Go Lean cereal. Fiber galore.

Also, there are these wraps called FlatOuts, I think they have a multi grain one which seems to make things move around here...

GL and I hope you feel better soon!!

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

2 things that I needed to do - cut down the iron intake in the prenatals and drink 1 cup of coffee a day.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

After a lot of problems w/this initially, I started taking magnesium supplements (1 each night) and they worked wonders keeping things running smoothly. I did mention to my OB that I was taking them.
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

Oatmeal and yogurt help, but the winners go to prune juice and Indian food. I haven't been completely constipated, but the juice & Indian definitely make the process a lot easier and faster!

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i use fiber choice. while i was pregnant (and things were slower), i also drank a glass of oj every morning. a dr. told the that the citrus helps (i can't remember how). my system is always slow so to keep things moving (in addition to the fiber choice) i limit my intake of binding foods, eat high fiber foods, drink lots of water. i used to walk daily too which helps a lot. i really need to start doing that again.

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Miralax isn't too bad or you can try docusate sodium.. My prenate had a stool softener added it.. Unknown to me they took it out about 6 months post partum and I ended up with fissures- AWFUL- now I take docusate along with the prenatal and my problem has resolved.

kam is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Colace. It's the OTC stool softener they give you in the hospital after giving birth. It helps A TON, and you don't have the side effects of the senekot. One in the am and one in the pm, if I recall.

And, while I'd check with my OB first, it is safe for pregnancy IIRC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast