ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Aaaaaack! Itchy!

I'm about 30 weeks and my breasts will not stop itching. It started around 12 weeks and no lotion, hydrocortisone, etc. makes a difference. I don't recall it being so horrible last time. The midwife said they're just growing and getting ready for BFing. I'm sure she's right, and they're definitely fuller than usual. She suggested using hydrocortisone for some relief, but I'm reluctant to do that - Doesn't it cause thinning of the skin? That can't be good long-term if I'm going to BF. If I can get them cooled off, it's not so bad, but I can't recline topless in front of a fan all day. (If only!) Anyone else dealing with this? Is it worse after the first baby if you've breast fed for any length of time? I know I need to stop scratching because DD (2) told me so.

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Could it be thrush?

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I should know what thrush is, but am embarrassed to say I'm not 100% sure. If it's a yeast infection, midwife said she doesn't think it's that, or ringworm, or anything rashy. I'm not BFing now - Can you only get thrush from BFing? Guess it might be time to see a dermatologist.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

BTDT I just put a bunch of lotion on them (normal aveda). Sorry!!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

do you have any little bumps or anything?? I think there is some type of itchy skin thing you can get while pregnant........

I've been putting Gold Bond lotion on my itchy areas and it seems to be helping. Not sure if you can put it on your breasts, but I guess if you're not nursing yet it shouldn't be a problem.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

I used the cool gel Soothies when I was BFing and my nipples got sore. Could those be an option for keeping cool as you go about your day? I used to keep them in the fridge so they'd be nice and cool, and just stick them in under my bra when I needed them.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Could be itchy cuz the skin is stretching as your breasts get bigger. I had a bad case on my tummy - rashy, bumpy, everything. The only thing other than ice that helped was Sarna lotion. It helped quite a bit, especially since when you first apply it you get that cooling effect. Definitely worth a try!!