Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Question Roller Safety Gates

Back when I was pregnant and lurking, I saw a post about retractable shade-style safety gates. I think that would work great for some of our large irregular doorways.

But now I can't find the thread or the website. Can anybody help? Has anybody used them, and what did you think?

Are you thinking of retract-a-gate.com? We have these gates and love them. They are a bit more expensive than others, but they look great and toddlers can't open them (I've read that some of the standard gates are easy to figure out after a while). They look really nice, too - we get lots of compliments.

Yep, that's them! Thank you. So, you like yours? Maybe you can tell me if this will work:

Our kitchen needs a gate, but the gate needs to go between the cabinet/island thingy and the living room wall. Hard to describe, but the problem is they don't line up evenly or straight. I'm hoping the roller and hooks will work even at an odd angle. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Uno-Mom View Post
    Yep, that's them! Thank you. So, you like yours? Maybe you can tell me if this will work:

Our kitchen needs a gate, but the gate needs to go between the cabinet/island thingy and the living room wall. Hard to describe, but the problem is they don't line up evenly or straight. I'm hoping the roller and hooks will work even at an odd angle. Does that make sense?
    We love ours - I recommend them to everyone!

I believe it will work with your arrangement, if I understand it correctly. We have one area that isn't even - the kitchen island/bar connecting to the wall - the wall is about a foot behind the bar. I'm pretty sure the two sets of brackets could be at any angle, since the gate is totally flexible.

I bought one set of spacers b/c we have baseboards - after getting the gates, we realized we needed more spacers. Instead of ordering more, we just made some with scrap wood (I may have just brought them to Home Depot and had them cut up some wood for me - I left them unpainted, but you could paint to match your walls or to blend in with the brackets). Oh, and we bought 3 gates, but brackets for 4 areas - I move one of the gates from the top of the stairs to the bottom when we spend time downstairs. They are pretty easy to pop out of the brackets with one hand, while carrying a baby in the other

I wouldn't hesitate to buy these. We've had them up for over 2 years and will have them up for a couple more, at a minimum. I imagine the resale value will be good, too.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have both the Lascal Kiddyguard retractable gate and First Years Hideaway. They both work we need them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Uno-Mom View Post

we have one too and love it. seems to disappear when not in use. it has been well worth the money for us. i would buy again if need be.

i believe that i googled and found a code that was years old (on a blog) but it worked. it may have only been for 5% or something minor. but every but counts imo.
    neeley

Quote Originally Posted by neeleymartin View Post
    we have one too and love it. seems to disappear when not in use. it has been well worth the money for us. i would buy again if need be.

i believe that i googled and found a code that was years old (on a blog) but it worked. it may have only been for 5% or something minor. but every but counts imo.
    You reminded me - when I called in, I just asked for a discount since I was buying multiple. I recall the discount I got wasn't huge, but like PP said, every bit counts!

Thanks, guys! I think I'll go with that online company - I really like that you can move the gates around with just an extra pair of brackets. I don't think you can do that with the others, can you? That seems like a real savings.