DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Back from cabin: Name that rash...

At the cabin this weekend--wooded, mosquitos, etc. So, I got bit by several mosquitos on my arm today before leaving. They immediately swelled up into little hives (which is what usually happens to me). Then, after getting home, I noticed that the spot on my arm that I'm ptretty sure had the mosquito bite had turned into a quarter sized, perfectly red rash (slightly raised), not tender or itchy or scaly. No bullseye, just all red. I didn't notice any tics on me. I put some benadryl on it and took a picture. Should I go to the doctor tomorrow, or could this just be a reaction to the mosquito bite? It's freaking me out a bit b/c it's so perfectly round and a bit raised. I'll try to attach a pic.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sounds like your run of the mill welt but could be the beginning of cellulitis. Dd1 gets welts every time she gets bit...it SUCKS. She got a pretty bad case of cellulitis last summer and that is when we learned of her sensitivity.Is it warm? May be worth a trip.

Thank you for responding. I can't get my photobucket password sent to me. You're right, it totally looks like a welt. It went from a mosquito bite I witnessed, to a large hive, to an even larger welt. I'm very sensitive to mosquito bites and always get large hives and redness, but don't remeber getting welts before. It's not warm, but it's raised. I will call tomorrow to see if I should come in to have them look at it. Is cellulitis basically an infection in the soft tissue (as a reaction to the mosquito venom?). Is there anything else I should be doing to the area (other than wash and benadryl?)
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    Is there anything else I should be doing to the area (other than wash and benadryl?)
    This is all I know to do.

If it's itching/burning or (in an extreme case) you notice you're having trouble breathing, I might consider a call. I think friends of mine with the same problem use cornstarch and rubbing alcohol to ease the discomfort, but benadryl is probably best.

Hope it goes down quickly!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yep, cellulitis is an infection in the skin. Like infomama said, it'd be warm to that touch if that's what it is. Ouchy - that's a bummer of an ending to a vacation weeken!

Crossing fingers, so far no warmer to the touch than the rest of my skin, not increasing in size, and not itchy.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Well, I went to the doctor yesterday and she said it was an "allergic" reaction to the mosquito (after asking if I was sure that's what it was). The whole area turns red and swollen, but not in a bullseye pattern. She said her DH and DD get that reaction. Just put benadryl cream on it, she said (which I had been doing). 3 days later, it is starting to look better. It was itching quite a bit last night.

I also had her look at DS, who's lower arm swelled up *a lot* from a mosquito bite. It was like he had a golf ball under his skin. She said it was pretty bad, but, again, an "allergic" reaction to the mosquito bite. She said not to scratch (of course) b/c then it can get infected. She said if mine were cellulitis, it would be pretty hot, *much* redder, getting bigger, streaks, I'd feel feverish, etc. She also said to watch for any breathing difficulties, etc., which really freaks me out b/c of DS's already existing allergies.

I guess as much as I hate it, I'm going to have to be putting more bug spray on all of us while up at the cabin.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD