Default Pregnant and sick. Booo...

For the last week or so, I've had a constant tickle in my ears. I think it was fluid building, because this morning I woke up sick. Earache, sore throat, headache, fever.

Bleh. If I weren't pregnant, I'd just self-medicate with Tylenol and cough drops and wait for it to go away. Can I still do that, or should I call the doctor?

Sick when pregnant = the worst!

I'd call the doctor and see what you can take. Regular, no-frills Tylenol is generally OK, but believe it or not I've been told to limit cough drops while preggo (forget why). But if there is a chance that allergies are contributing, you might be able to get an antihistamine prescription that is safe and helpful.

I just remember having a cold at about 28 weeks that I would normally have gotten over in a day, and it ended up taking over a week...the pregnant immune system is just not that strong! Sending you lots of healing vibes!
    Emma in Bermuda
    Mama to furkids Beau and Mattie
    DS1 born June 2010
    DS2 born November 2012

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm right there with you. . . I'm 38 weeks, and DH is STILL fighting this cold he brought home two weeks ago, and I haven't even had it for a week yet (and, of course, DD has it now too).

My midwife said tylenol, mucinex and vitamin C are all fine. I didn't ask about cough drops.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh, I hated being sick when PG. With DS I had the flu 2x and a constant UTI. With DD I had a raging sinus infection. The PITS!
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Oh gosh...the flu and a UTI? Guess I shouldn't complain about a head cold-thingy. Thanks for the advice, ladies. I've only had one cough drop, so I'll check with my midwife before taking more.

When I had a cold earlier in my pregnancy I read up on cough drops. Apparently menthol may cause contractions, which is no good unless you want to start labor. Instead I bought Luden's non-metholated cherry-flavored cough drops. I checked it with my doctor and he said those are fine. I bought 2 bags from Target.

Feel better soon!