Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Best carrier for a newborn?

I have tiny newborns (my biggest so far was 6 lbs 5 oz). I own a pikkolo, but I already know from experience that i will have to wait a month or two to be able to use it. Also, so far, 3/3 have had reflux & required me to carry them 24/7. What is a good carrier that I could get for the first 2 months or so, that will also be secure enough to hold baby while I am running after 3 little monkeys?

Love the moby! It also allows you to carry the baby upright, or in a burp hold, which is great for a reflux baby.

catpagmo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    Love the moby! It also allows you to carry the baby upright, or in a burp hold, which is great for a reflux baby.
    I second the Moby. It was a lifesaver for me!
    DD 12/05
    DS 02/09

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    What is this burp hold? I went to youtube but didn't see anything.

I just got a Moby and like it very much, would recommend it. My DD has a bit of reflux and a wobbly head (she doesn't realize it though, she loves to look around) and I only use the newborn hug hold. Not sure if it is super-secure to be running after toddlers, but I imagine you could make it work.

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

loved my moby! it was a complete life saver for my reflux baby.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I also have tiny babies - DD1 was under 6 lbs, and DD2 was 6 lbs even. My DH swears by the Maya Wrap, which he has used for both babies starting at around a week. I had forgotten how almost magically sleep inducing it was - DD2 sacks out within minutes of being placed in it! For some reason, I've never been a MW user - for one, DH and I are such different sizes, that it's a pain to retie each time I use (DH has no such problem - he is the MW pro!). I have a Kangaroo Korner microfleece pouch and am quite happy with it. It fits well and DD likes being in it - but she won't sleep in it, which sort of defeats the purpose IMO! She constantly tries to nurse me when she's in it.

Also in our stash: Ergo carrier with insert (we have yet to try it - seems huge for our peanut), Babyhawk (also seems huge), Bjorn (for 2-5 months IMO), New Native pouch (hand me down, haven't tried yet but I've seen other small babies in it).

for Sandy Hook

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green22 View Post
    What is this burp hold? I went to youtube but didn't see anything.

I just got a Moby and like it very much, would recommend it. My DD has a bit of reflux and a wobbly head (she doesn't realize it though, she loves to look around) and I only use the newborn hug hold. Not sure if it is super-secure to be running after toddlers, but I imagine you could make it work.
    Try also searching "reclined cradle" or "rebozo" ... there are photos posted at thebabywearer.com

I still can't figure it out with my EllaRoo, so I'm calling in the big guns - the local babywearing group!!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok, really stupid question. Can you get the metrowrap on by yourself? I was looking at the instructions for some of the newborn holds & some of them say to have a partner help you.

I liked the pouch for my newborn and can (and do!) still use it for my toddler
    mom to one sweet little girl born in late '08
    and -surprise!- one sweet little boy born in late '11

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    Ok, really stupid question. Can you get the metrowrap on by yourself? I was looking at the instructions for some of the newborn holds & some of them say to have a partner help you.
    I just took a look-see at the metro and I say if I can get mt 5-meter EllaRoo on by myself in a windy/rainy/hot parking lot, you should have no trouble with a metrowrap as long as you practice first.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast