Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Fastest way to send a package to Canada?

I'm in Kentucky, and I'm going to send a package to Canada. What is the fastest way to get this package to it's destination? I think I read that First Class Mail takes 1-2 weeks? Is Priority Mail faster? Fedex? TIA!

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Fedex would be the fastest, but very expensive. I've always had good luck with Priority Mail. When I was in Canada, packages sent to me via USPS Priority normally arrived in about an average of ten days. It also depends on how much Canada Customs wanted to examine the pacakges, of course, but that it out of our control ...
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I've often had quick luck with First Class mail there. No more than 4 pounds, though. Priority will allow tracking of it, which might help when people know where it is .

I've never used Fed Ex or UPS as they charge brokerage fees to have it picked up in Canada. So, it's your shipping cost plus more after that. I have no idea of timing, but I do think those fees are at least partly to help speed up the process.
    Kris

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DO NOT SEND VIA FEDEX OR UPS unless the recipient is fully aware of, and agrees to pay, the brokerage fees. AFAIK, the minimum brokerage fee (even if the item has no material value) is $50US.

Definitely use USPS. Don't forget to complete the customs form.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

thanks everyone, looks like it's USPS First Class or Priority. And thanks for the customs forms reminder!

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know if this matters, but it takes about a week for a large flat-rate box to get from here in California, through the APO on the east coast, to my DH in Pakistan. So maybe a flat-rate box is the way to go?

I check airmail on the customs form. It does not cost any more (flat rate=flat rate).
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"