jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Is spray on sunscreen safe?

I just sprayed my kids with the target sprayon sunscreen and I still feel like I am breathing in the chemicals. Does anyone know how safe these sunscreens are? And are the higher SPF ones just as safe as the lower ones? I don't remember any that were higher than SPF 50 before and now they have 100. What happend? We don't use sunscreen everyday just days that it will be 80+ or days when the kids will be outside alot, but I still want them to be safe.

Thanks,

Jessica.

This article is very helpful. I emailed it everyone over the weekend.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/28...iref=allsearch

Spray on sunscreens aren't as good as the rub on kind, anything higher than SPF 30 is mostly a waste, and your sunscreen should list zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as its main ingredients.

Mother to a precious little Kitten

jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks, are there any brands that are better? I have heard of California Babys but I don't think they sell that one around here.

Now I feel guilty spraying the kids this morning. But at least I am learning what to do for the next 85 degree day!

Jessica.

nofeea is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

They just had an article about this. Basically they say the spray ons are not good because you breath them into your lungs... A lot of the others aren't either for various reasons (Vitamin A, etc...) I'm in a rush now but here's a link to the article. They also give you a link to which ones you SHOULD buy. (I don't know how legit the article is-it's from AOL- but it's worth reading...)

http://www.aolnews.com/health/articl...cer%2F19488158

Quote Originally Posted by jess_g View Post
    Now I feel guilty spraying the kids this morning. But at least I am learning what to do for the next 85 degree day!

Jessica.
    I'm curious why you base the need for sunscreen on the temperature. I have gotten a lot of sun exposure on those 75 degree days when you don't get heated up & don't realize how long you've been out in the rays.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jess_g View Post
    Thanks, are there any brands that are better? I have heard of California Babys but I don't think they sell that one around here.

Jessica.
    Target stores carry California Baby.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by nofeea View Post
    They just had an article about this. Basically they say the spray ons are not good because you breath them into your lungs... A lot of the others aren't either for various reasons (Vitamin A, etc...) I'm in a rush now but here's a link to the article. They also give you a link to which ones you SHOULD buy. (I don't know how legit the article is-it's from AOL- but it's worth reading...)

http://www.aolnews.com/health/article/study-many-sunscreens-may-be-accelerating-cancer/19488158?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fhealth% 2Farticle%2Fstudy-many-sunscreens-may-be-accelerating-cancer%2F19488158
    FWIW...It wasn't just published by AOL. This information is everywhere recently, and was put together by an awesome non-profit group, The Environmental Working Group. I am confident you can trust them. They have actually help introduce a few bills that are before Congress right now, such as the Safe Chemicals Act.
    Last edited by daisymommy; 06-02-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Kineysis is a spray-on, but non-aerosol, which helps a lot in terms of feeling like you've inhaled the product!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008