Default Mastitis at 16 weeks pregnant!

Just wanted to share this, in case anyone else goes through it. Last week I woke up with a large, painful red lump in my breast and within 24 hours had a fever, exhaustion and dizziness. My OB said she'd never treated a prenatal patient for mastitis before, just nursing mothers, but it was possible. She put me on antibiotics and told me if I didn't get noticably better within a day to go to the ER for a breast ultrasound to rule out inflammatory breast cancer. So it was a scary few days for me! But luckily, I responded within 4 doses to the antibiotics (spot shrunk, got less red and less painful) and now, four days later, the redness and spot are completely gone.

I am a runner and have been wearing two tight sports bras during my pregnancy. My friend who is also a runner said she's heard of non-pregnant and non-nursing women getting mastitis from super-tight sports bras. (The things we do to avoid jiggling.)

Anyway, just wanted to put this out there in case anyone experiences something similar. I'm so glad I caught it right away before it could abcess and I'm so, so grateful it was mastitis and not cancer!
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

That's good to know and I'm glad it was fixed early.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

WOW! I had no idea that could happen, but I'm glad you shared! I would be freaking out.