ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Poverty and Ignorance SUCK!

I am working in a high school this semester (teacher training) and a student I have been working with came to me and complained of the symptoms of a UTI, and said it had been going on since last Friday. She missed school because of it yesterday. I asked her if she had told her mom, and she said yes. I asked if her mom would take her to the doctor and she told me that her mom didn't want to take her because they did not have any insurance. She said her mom had boiled corn silk from 4 ears of corn and then fished out the silks and had her drink the water. She was supposed to do this 3 x day, and it would get better. I have no idea if this works or not. I went to the guidance office and asked if they had a list of free clinics in the area. It took some looking, but someone knew of a clinic, so I gave her the information, praying her mom would take her. I also gave her my phone no to call me if she could not get seen and said I would research another clinic.

I'm also working with a 10 grade boy who has missed so much school that he cannot solve the equation 5x+3=13. He says he works laying carpet and so he misses a lot of school. Sweet kid and eager for the extra help, God life is hard if you don't have any money.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That's awful. I'm so sorry for those kids. It's not their fault. And I bet the parents were raised the exact same way that they were.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

See if the school counselor can make some discrete inquiries and see if they may qualify for Medicaid or other state health insurance for low income families. ALL states have something for children. I've never heard of the corn silk water treatment, but cranberry juice can help a lot.

Beth