Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

tacky! both the original request and the follow up email are just tacky! we didn't even include our registry info on our invitations.

So I waited a day to get some sort of acknowledgement of my email regarding the charity giftcard and after no reply I replied to her blast email about the registry. I said I'm sorry that the charity giftcard wasn't what you were looking for because I got it before you updated your wedding website asking for cash and giftcards. She responded by saying that my gift was "fine" and they already contribute a "decent amount" to charity.

How tacky! I thought weddings were about marriage, not about gifts! Gross.

Why are you friends with this girl?????

Default Money instead of gifts?

Ok, I'm new, and at risk of lash back...we were thinking of requesting something similar...we are travelling 9 hours by car to our wedding destination and we are worried about trying to pack stuff back with us (we are going to be pretty full already with kids and the dog and misc wedding stuff)...is this in really bad taste to request monetary or gift cards instead of boxed gifts?

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by puff pastry View Post
    She responded by saying that my gift was "fine" and they already contribute a "decent amount" to charity.
    Uh? How rude!

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Why are you friends with this girl?????

I've had a few friends who included something along the lines of "since the bride and groom will be residing abroad, they'd appreciate gifts in cash instead of boxed gifts" in their invitation. And in that particular case I think it's fine (I can understand not wanting to travel to another country with all the gifts).

In this case, it's tacky and even rude (their emails).
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This is an old thread that has been resurrected AND it is in Bridal Bargains, not Baby Bargains (for those of us who view from "new posts").
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Default I would prefer no boxed gifts either

To me it sounds like they just went about it kind of wrong.. my fiancee and I have been together for five years, own a home and everything... We're also getting married in NY but we live in VA, and the idea of traveling with boxed gifts, while well intentioned from the guests, is a bit much. I full intend on asking for no boxed gifts, but hopefully with a bit more finesse than your friend..

It was rude and ungrateful of the bride to say your gift was "fine" however. At the same time, you did give a gift out of snarkiness also, so maybe she understood that..

Seriously. I think the mere fact that the couple asked for money is so beyond tacky that there isn't even a word for it. I would totally feel justified in how you feel and in what you did.

You should be grateful for anything you receive as a wedding gift! I know right now I am registering at a few places, and while yes, I would love to get a few of those things, I would just be tinkled bottomed pink to get anything at all!

It just amazes me how selfish people really are these days.
    Kasey

Bridezilla in Training!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2