Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The snarky thing I did to a bride today!

So one of my friends is getting married and hand-delivered her wedding invitation to me when we were both at another friend's wedding (to save on postage costs). Huge, ornate, intricate, heavy invitation with golden words. Four golden words stood out to me "No boxed gifts please". Yeah, yeah, I know they want money. But instead, I got them a $50 charity giftcard that they can donate to any charity of their choice. Why do I feel so smug and snarky!!??

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't blame you. I think it's tacky to say no boxed gifts.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm cool with that too. "No boxed gifts" hmph.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Default Arrggh!

I don't know why this irks me so much but it just does. The wedding website has a little blurb about how the couple is just glad that to have the presence of their friends and family at their wedding so they haven't registered for gifts anywhere. Then the next sentence is "no boxed gifts please". So, the wedding is a month away and I got the charity giftcard for them yesterday and sent them an email to the effect of "in honor of your upcoming union, our family has sent you a charity giftcard that you can donate to any charity of your choice". I was expecting some type of perfunctory thank you reply. Instead, what to I receive in my inbox this morning?? A blast group email from the couple addressing "gift registry and other wedding-related items"... "There have been a lot of questions about gift registry. We don't have one (since we already have a house filled with everything we need) so we would appreciate gift cards or money toward our house instead." (Sidenote: the groom's extremely wealthy parents bought him a $600K condo which she and he have lived together in for the past 3 years.)

Ummmmm.... does she expect me to now run out and get her another giftcard and/or a check towards their house now that she's put it in plain language that they want cold hard cash??

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

um, you don't get to dictate what you will accept as a GIFT! even registries are just suggestions.

love the charity card idea! heh heh heh...
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

"No Boxed Gifts???" I have never seen anyone put that on their invitation before. Talk about tacky! As if you can really dictate what ppl should give you as a gift.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They are being unbelievably tacky especially by sending up that follow up email to everyone.

Beth

BTW, I just checked their wedding website and they've changed the registry section to "We're kindly requestion no boxed gifts and would prefer gift cards and money towards our house instead." The worst part is that this couple is super stingy and ungenerous with their own money (even though they both have wealthy parents who pay for everything). Grrrr.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Bride/Groomszilla. Tacky beyond the pale. I say no, you leave it at the charity and that's that. Seirously? Unreal.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

"There have been a lot of questions about gift registry. We don't have one (since we already have a house filled with everything we need) so we would appreciate gift cards or money toward our house instead."
    I hope there was at least SOME mention of them "appreciating" that people will come celebrate their wedding with them, instead of all gimme gimme gimme talk.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast