Thread: rolling over...

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Question rolling over...

ack, so ironic that i had been waiting and waiting for DS (almost 5 months) to finally roll over..now that he finally has, i kinda wish he wasn't, as it has made life much harder for me at the moment!

the problem is, he can very easily roll over from his back to his tummy (which i guess makes no sense since every single book i've read said that rolling from back to tummy is harder than tummy-to-back, but whatever). it sucks because what has been happening recently is my son rolls over onto his tummy, then gets basically stuck there, and then in a few minutes starts crying his head off, spits up a fair amount, and buries his face in the mattress, more screaming, etc. this has been happening day and night. i can't put him down for more than a minute or two before he rolls over onto his tummy. for a while he is fine, but soon starts crying and he spits up a very decent amt (i guess from the pressure on his stomach). when i see that he is on his tummy & very upset and has spit up a lot etc i have been putting him back on his back but seriously, now it's 2:45 am, he has woken up crying twice already and i cannot be waking up every hour at night to put him on back on his back!! i had a horrible headache all day today bc in addition to AF visiting (hooray ) i did not get much sleep last night since i have been waking up at random hours of th night to him screaming and have been going to help him put him back on his back.

anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated... thing is, i am not sure about just letting him CIO right now bc i guess i'm just worried about if he actually get stuck and i'd be ignoring a genuine cry for help. for example, early this morning at 5am i came as he was screaming and he had been stuck on his tummy, with one side of his body pressed against the side of the crib, one of his feet caught in between two crib slats. eek!! after seeing that it's hard for me to ignore his cries bc i'm worried that he actually will need some help, KWIM? i've read some places that sleeping on their tummy is ok once they learn to roll over, but it seems like DS has not mastered rolling from his tummy to his back (i've only seen him do it like once or twice) and so am not sure if sleeping on his tummy (if he would eventually stop screaming and sleep like that) is the best idea right now...i don't know, am i being too paranoid?
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-04-2010 at 04:10 AM.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd work on teaching him to roll back by holding toys over his head etc. dd got her leg stuck in the crib too so I'm not in favor of of letting them cry (not that I ever have been)

its a phase hopefully a short one!

as far as letting them sleep on their belly, we are. she can roll both ways now and likes sleeping on her belly. in her crib, cosleeper etc fine by me. in our bed I'm a little more cautious and like her on back/side b/c its not as hard a mattress etc.

thx for the reply! i will try teaching him to roll back. part of me thinks he can sort of do it already, he just doesn't always want to (he seems desperate to crawl by the way he moves).

anyway fter crying on & off ( was constantly checking on him) he finally fell asleep on his tummy around 4 am. whew. but by 6 am he was awake crying again, and i was still needing sleep so i just brought him into bed with me & nursed him there and let him sleep next to me (he slept on his side there).

Yeah, I wouldn't let him cry in that situation.

I would work on teaching him to roll over from tummy to back (which really is easier). They usually figure it out by tipping their big heavy heads over to one side, leaning with their shoulders, and then they start to roll. Maybe help him with those two things and he will catch in fairly quickly.

Just an FYI...I think you meant to post this in the Lounge, but it ended up in Bargains
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't let him cry in that situation.

I would work on teaching him to roll over from tummy to back (which really is easier). They usually figure it out by tipping their big heavy heads over to one side, leaning with their shoulders, and then they start to roll. Maybe help him with those two things and he will catch in fairly quickly.

Just an FYI...I think you meant to post this in the Lounge, but it ended up in Bargains
    thanks for the tip. actually i think i remember the one time i saw him roll from tummy to back was when i was standing by the side of the crib and he was trying to lift his head and turn it to look at me, and he just rolled over onto his back. it seemed almost by accident, like he had this surprised look when he landed on his back. i guess i have to teach him how to do it on his own, on purpose.

and oops, can't believe i posted this in the wrong forum...durr..just goes to show, cant' think straight at all when i'm sleep deprived!!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definitely teach! I remember being surprised how much teaching actually works at that age! Show him how to lean his head WAY over, and how to use one arm to prop up one side, and how to bend one leg while keeping the other one straight, etc. You have to actually re-arrange his body for him. It will surprise you that he will learn from it

thanks for the tips! i will definitely try that. also, once my DH gets back i will ask him to try to teach him too..he's better at this kind of thing than i am