Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How long is it o.k. to sleep on my stomach?

Is it until a certain # of weeks, or more just when it's too uncomfortable to do so?

Thanks!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

As long as you possibly can get away with it. That you will smush the baby is not in the realm of possibility. Any way that is comfortable for you is fine.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Glad to hear that! I am 7 mo and I can still sort of lay on my tummy, but for comfort it's more of a half on my side/ half on my tummy position What about the whole "don't lie on your back/right side" b/c of cutting of blood flow???

BeccaB. is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by flamingo View Post
    Glad to hear that! I am 7 mo and I can still sort of lay on my tummy, but for comfort it's more of a half on my side/ half on my tummy position What about the whole "don't lie on your back/right side" b/c of cutting of blood flow???
    I'm also doing the half side half tummy thing. My doctor said either side is fine. Left was better but either would work. She did recommend not to sleep on your back because of the blood flow issue. The pregnancy books I've read say not to worry if you wake up on your back or tummy. You can't do any damage to yourself/baby by sleeping in the wrong position, you'll just be healthier/feel better if you sleep on your side.

Hope that helps.
    Rebecca

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm loving the side/tummy position right now (30ish weeks). I slept that way all through an earlier pregnancy and my understanding was it's fine. I was advised not to sleep on back at all, and have woken up on my back feeling icky (dizzy, nauseous). I think they advise against back sleeping because it can decrease blood flow in the inferior vena cava, discussed mid-page here: http://www.babycenter.com/0_dizzines...egnancy_228.bc.

Quote Originally Posted by ewpmsw View Post
    I'm loving the side/tummy position right now (30ish weeks). I slept that way all through an earlier pregnancy and my understanding was it's fine. I was advised not to sleep on back at all, and have woken up on my back feeling icky (dizzy, nauseous). I think they advise against back sleeping because it can decrease blood flow in the inferior vena cava, discussed mid-page here: http://www.babycenter.com/0_dizzines...egnancy_228.bc.
    I had heard and read about that and didn't really have any issues with it most of my pregnancy. I had a massage at 7 mo and was able to lay on my back fine.
    Then I went for my 32 week U/S and the technician made me lay on my back for 5 minutes - I nearly passed out! DH had to bring me a paper bag to breathe into, and I was dizzy for a good half hour after. THEN I finally believed it!
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I slept on my tummy until it became uncomfortable to do so. Eventually you'll feel like an upside down camel.

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My OB said there is no evidence that back sleeping will harm the baby. It DOES decrease oxygen supply to you and baby but baby compensates by staying very still so that it does not use as much oxygen. Again, no evidence of harm to baby.

That said, she thinks it is better to sleep on side versus back. I was having trouble with this so she helped me brainstorm some pillow/wedge solutions. Her key advice was to use the pillow/wedge/roll to prop up your opposite hip - - so right now I sleep basically on my back but maybe tilted 20-30 degrees toward the side. Has worked well. Alternatively, sleeping with extra pillows so your upper body is kind of one quarter sitting up works well and gets rid of the shortness of breath.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

I also slept on my tummy or side/tummy for as long as I felt comfortable. I've read that sleeping on left side increases blood flow to the placenta, but my OB said either side is fine, so is waking up on your back (feeling like a rock is on my tummy!) but to turn to the side afterwards.

I'm now at the point where I wake myself up from a numb arm, or I have to pee. The body pillow didn't work for me in 2nd trimester, I'm wondering if it'll be helpful now (I'm at 33 weeks). But having a small pillow between my legs have been very helpful.

I seem to get really hot with a king sized pillow between my legs (or under my left lef) when I lay on my left side to sleep. I'm only about 16 weeks...so it's the time they start recommending to avoid the back sleeping, but I wish I liked it better. I feel like a furnace already!

I already have really low blood pressure (95/56), so I have to be really careful about the back sleeping. As it is, if I get out of bed quickly or stand up too fast, my eyes start to go black and I get dizzy. It's crazy, so I'm taking the vena cava advice about back sleeping to heart. I heard it's really only a big issue if you have low pressure issues.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast