View Poll Results: Graco or Chicco infant (car) seat? Why?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Graco

54 56.84%
  • Chicco

35 36.84%
  • other (please explain)

6 6.32%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We got a Graco Snugride (22, was the only option at the time, IIRC) for DS who is almost 4 now, based on the review in what was then the current edition of Baby Bargains. Luckily we got one with a front harness adjuster because we didn't know enough to look for that. We absolutely love it and it has served us well for both kids now.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

Keyfit for us. I had a Snugride 22 for DS1 and was less than thrilled with it so I went with the Chicco for DS2. Loved how solid the Keyfit felt but really loved the install of the base. It was just really an easy seat to use.

I see lots of people mention problems with the sunshade. And I admit, it is small. BUT I could get mine to rotate forward by undoing a few small patches of velcro in the back. My seat is currently out on loan to a friend so I can't check it out, but I remember doing this several times with DS2. I don't think I'm imagining it......but I'm sure that's possible.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I bought the Keyfit for #3 because it's what fit in my car with the other seats I had at the time.

I really liked it and used it until 17 months. I used it a lot in the winter to haul him in and out of preschool and just make it easier on us all in the yucky weather. I then borrowed a SafeSeat and used that until 20 months (March) for those same reasons. If the weather was fine, I'd leave it in the car and just take DS out, but in rain/snow, 10 deg, I kept him in and covered and it just made the trip in and out faster.
    Kris

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I got the Graco Safeseat (Same seat as the now Snugride35) because it has the highest torso height on the market with a marvelously easy to install base -- even with the seatbelt (Our car did not have LATCH)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    i personally don't think it's worth getting the higher limit Snugrides (35, etc). i imagine at that over 15 lbs, it's a monstrosity and super-heavy to carry. we got rid of our infant seat at 4.5 months (where DS was about 17lbs and 26") partially bc at that point it was just too uncomfortable for him, especially in the heat (and yeah, he was getting ridiculously heavy). i CANNOT imagine lugging around twice that weight (35 lbs) in a seat!! at that point it's just easier to put them in a convertible seat IMO.
    A baby rarely gets to the poundage limit. My son would have outgrown the Snugride 22 at 4 months by height -- way before he was able to sit up on his own. He didn't stay in his Safeseat until 30 pounds, but he did make it to 13 months (and had not outgrown it then) by which time I was perfectly happy to move him.

I did not find that a 23 pound baby in an infant carrier was hugely heavier than a 9 pound infant in the same infant carrier -- it was the bulkiness more than the weight that was the problem (And I'm a weakling). I just used two hands when I had to carry him up and down to our second floor apartment -- but I had to do that as an infant as well as at the end.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We got a Graco Snugride 22 because that is the seat the Baby Bargains recommended as the top seat in the 2005 edition. The Safeseat was too new (int. late 2005) to be in the book and I don't even remember if it was in stores when we registered. I didn't know about the Chicco brand then.

For DD2 we have a Graco Safeseat we got from a friend and we really like it more than the basic SR22 we had with DD1. We hope to get DD2 to a year in this seat vs. the mere 7 mos. that DD1 got to use the SR22.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Both the Snugride 35 (it was the Safeseat 1 back then) and the Chicco Key Fit 22. DD fit in the KF till she was about a year, 20lbs, and 30 inches, and fit in the Snugride 35 till she was 19 months, 23 pounds, 33 inches. I park in the driveway and found it more convenient to have her in an infant seat till she was a capable walker at 15+ months and winter was over. Yeah, it was enormously heavy, dh couldn't even carry her, but I was one determined mama
    The Snugride 22 is fine, the only major drawback to it is if you are going to install it with a lap/shoulderbelt, it doesn't have a built in lockoff on the base and often you need to use a locking clip to get a non-tippy installation. If you are using a designated LATCH position, there shouldn't be an issue, it installs great with LATCH. It sounds like it'll last you through the floppy sleepy baby stage, and without a preschool dropoff situation, you'll be fine .

To the poster who mentioned buying them of Craigslist...that can be an iffy proposition, as a seat may have been crashed or washed (as the other poster noted) and may not be as safe. If you trust the seller with your child's life (because that's literally what it's coming down to), then it's probably ok, but if you have any feeling that they aren't telling the truth about the seat's history, or it's recalled, missing the instructions, etc, then don't use it... here's the used seat check list to be sure... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/usedseat.aspx
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Graco makes 4 separate seats:

Snugride (22) for babies up to 22lbs/29"
    Safeseat for babies up to 30lbs/32" - being phased out
    Snugride 32 for babies up to 32lbs/32"
    Snugride 35 for babies up to 35lbs/32"

It was between the Snugride 32/35 and a Chicco. I preferred the Chicco patterns, but hated the canopy, and that they weren't compatible with the strollers I was looking for. Plus they were more expensive for basically the same seat.

So it came down to a 32 or a 35. I went with a Snugride 35 because I liked the patterns better than the 32s, and I preferred the infant insert on the 35s - it's more like a Chicco insert. Plus the padding is better on the 35, especially compared with the Snugride (22).

BeccaB. is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I got the Graco and have been really happy with it. We chose it mostly because of the price. I couldn't really afford the Chicco. Now I'm glad I didn't get it. One of my friends has the Chicco and is due a month before me. She's been looking for a double stroller that will hold the Chicco and the only one she can find is the Chicco brand. It's $300 dollars and she doesn't want to spend that much and there's no way I could afford that. The plus of the Snug Ride is that there are more strollers that will hold it.
    Rebecca

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We got and used the Graco 22lb model Snugride- it worked well for us- because she was ready to move to her Britax at about 6-7 mos- she liked the Britax much more (probably due to the recline).

We will use the Snugride again, with #2, when they come- ours was the Devon pattern, which was gender neutral- and it was nice to have reasonable bases to use as well.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast