wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default 3rd trimester insomnia

All day long I am exhausted. DD & I actually have a game called "mommy's bed" where she sits on my bed and dresses up / diapers her dolls while I just LIE THERE offering the occasional comment for as long as I can get away with it.

Then night comes and I can't sleep. When I finally do fall asleep, I wake up for a few minutes every hour or two. NOT. FAIR. I will have a newborn soon so I know I don't have much sleep in the next few months either.

Any known cures for this? Please??
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

This is God's way of preparing you for those sleepless newborn nights, lol. You can safely take Benadryl which may make you drowsy enough to fall and then stay asleep. I suffer from chronic insomnia (way past my last pregnancy 11 years ago), but when I was pregnant, it did work effectively for me.

Beth

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I could've completed your title for you. "3rd trimester insomnia....Su#ks". I never found a cure for it. It's hard to get comfortable and the peeing doesn't help. Sorry!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Are you doing any sort of hypnobirthing? I used the hypnobirthing CD and it put me to sleep like a log all through the third trimester! It was worth the price for that alone.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was having the same problem until I bought a snoogle maternity pillow. I thought it was way too extravagant a purchase this late in my pregnancy but I have slept much better since. And although I wake up every couple hours to pee I definitely fall back to sleep faster. Hope you get some relief soon.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Some things that have worked for me when I couldn't fall/stay asleep:
    - cranking the A/C way up
    - washing my feet with a cool washcloth
    - getting up and taking a bath with a non-serious book
    - cutting back on sugar/chocolate (I know that helps but can rarely bring myself to do it)
    - getting more pillows (and I second the snoogle recommendation)
    - going to sleep in the guest room - sometimes a fresh (and empty) bed can help, even though I generally prefer to have DH and our doggies near
    - making lists of things I'll miss about being pregnant, and things I'm looking forward to about not being pregnant/having a newborn

None of this is surefire; each night is an adventure! Hoping you get some sleep soon! I LOVE the "mommy's bed" game idea!
    Emma in Bermuda
    Mama to furkids Beau and Mattie
    DS1 born June 2010
    DS2 born November 2012

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Right there with you, wellyes. I second the guest room suggestion - Helps to get away from the buzz saw that is sleeping contentedly when I can not. Otherwise, haven't found anything else that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ewpmsw View Post
    Helps to get away from the buzz saw that is sleeping contentedly when I can not.
    That used to make me so irrationally angry at poor DH. Actually it still does sometimes, and I'm not even pregnant

Hope you get some sleep soon, wellyes!
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

Don't have any other suggestions from what PP's have made. But I'm going through the same thing, so at least you know you're not alone!