Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Name proposal

BeccaB. is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Name proposal

So DH and I have been going round and round over what to name DS2. DS1 was hard enough to figure out. He recently came up with the idea of letting me choose the first name - no restrictions - if he could pick the middle name - also no restrictions. The catch is that he won't tell me the middle name he wants before I agree to this plan.

So what would you do? Would you let your DH pick the middle name without you?

Should probably also add that DH only seems to like really old fashion names and I lean more toward more contemporary names. DH's suggestions so far have been Sheldon, Leonard, Russell, Manning, and Malcom.
    Rebecca

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think you def. get the better of the two choices!! Not too many people will ever hear the middle name, but everyone will use his first name.

I have a few friends with unique middle names (some are the mother's maiden name, or a special deceased relative) but it's their first name that people remember.

If it really seems like the best option for you guys, then I'd say go for it.
    You can always post in the lounge for some name help...........I did that when trying to make up my mind about spellings.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So you agree, he sets the middle name, and you then pick the first name? I can see it, unless you have your heart set on a specific first name...... otherwise there is some risk of a rhyming or jarring: Aiden Sheldon, Peyton Manning, Falcon Malcolm.

I'd also only consider if it he has a pretty good sense of whimsy. You don't want to have to hear grumbling for the next 18 years about your choice.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

I think wellyes has some good points. Are you more worried about your DH picking a name you don't like for the mn or are you more worried about him complaining about your choice of first names? Any chance he would insist on calling the LO by the mn he chose rather than the fn you chose? If it was a mn to just go on the birth certificate/ be used infrequently I would probably go for the deal knowing how my DH operates. I guess it depends on what you think your DH is up to with this deal. Being agreeable/ trying to come up with a solution or trying to slip a name that you would never, ever consent to by you?
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No way would I agree to that. DH and I had a hard time choosing names but in the end we were able to find something we both liked. It took time, patience and a little bit of compromise but we're both happy with DC's names. You still have time to find something you both like.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I like it. But, I think that maybe you should each have 2 names and can finalize when baby is out, just in case of some really bad combination.

Beth

I bet he's going to pick Danger. The NICU nurses told me lots of dads are picking Danger. "Danger's my middle name".

But regardless of my ramblings, I couldn't do it. I'm far too nosy. Plus if I didn't like his choice I'd want to go back on the deal! But if it works for you I say go for it!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I usually ask what my laboring/postpartum mamas are naming their baby- just to make conversation. Sometimes I'm pretty sorry I asked. There was the little boy named Seven, the twins named Orangejello & Lemonjello (what mama ate during labor), or the dad who had to use every single space allotted by the state on the birth certificate, and some other strange ones. The crowning glory, of course, were the twins named Placenta & Clitoris. I'm sure whatever you pick will be much classier than most I've heard...

BeccaB. is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I finally got an answer out of him as to the middle names he wants to use Michael or Rueben. Michael is his dad's middle name and Rueben is a Hebrew version of Robert (according to DH). He didn't tell me that was what he wanted to name the baby because there is a lot of past history between his dad and us. They are trying to work it out and things are getting better, but he is definately not my favorite person right now. I would have killed him if he had named DS that without us talking about it. I set some ground rules for changes and discussions that would have to occur in our relationship with FIL before I would consider it. So glad we talked it through.
    Rebecca

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    I usually ask what my laboring/postpartum mamas are naming their baby- just to make conversation. Sometimes I'm pretty sorry I asked. There was the little boy named Seven, the twins named Orangejello & Lemonjello (what mama ate during labor), or the dad who had to use every single space allotted by the state on the birth certificate, and some other strange ones. The crowning glory, of course, were the twins named Placenta & Clitoris. I'm sure whatever you pick will be much classier than most I've heard...
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh those are some good names!!
    DH wanted to make new DD's name the same length as DD1s name so he could get a universal tatoo for both girls.........but that would require a lot of extra letters and I just couldn't do that. So he's just going to have to get more than one tatoo.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast