Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
At younger DD's third birthday I gave an inexpensive paperbook picture book and a puzzle from the dollar spot at Target.

I've given out microwave popcorn, low $ gift certificates, stickers, notepads and pens, pencils, etc.
I would not give out microwave popcorn or popcorn of any sort to an under 6 crowd. It is a dangerous choking hazard, more dangerous since it can be aspirated into the lungs, etc. and is not recommended for under six (some peds say 5). We've never allowed it based on our ped's recommendation but a new article was just in the NY Times around Memorial Day about the risk and warnings proposed by the AAP. Just fyi. (My three year old begs for popcorn since her preschool let them have some so it would be a sad day if she got that in our goody bag.)

I try and not do any sort of food or candy. We do nice bubbles that actually work (about a dollar each) not the cheapest since I've been to parties with kids crying when the bubbles suck, crayons, notepads, sticker books, small board books, or for a ballerina party they all got a tutu, wings and fairy wand. Sometimes hair clips or Matchbox cars. We give everyone a balloon when they leave too (three and up) and have some mylar balloons if parents feel strongly about latex - only had one request for mylar so far.