Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Goody Bags

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Goody Bags

I know I'm not alone in hating all the junk in goody bags. DS's birthday is later this month and we've been going to birthday parties and have more to come in the next couple weeks (all his friends have birthdays within a couple months of his). So, we went to one yesterday... all the typical plastic crappy in the goody bag as is typical... stuff that DS looks at for a minute or two and then we chuck.

DH doesn't want to give goody bags for DS's party because he thinks it's a stupid tradition. I'd like to give something, but not your typical good back crap-ola. So, what are your suggestions? TIA.

ETA: He'll be turning 3, so pretty much all the kids are in that age range with the exception of a 1 year old sibling of one of his friends and my niece who is still an infant (so won't be getting a goody bag).

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is there a them of any sort to the party?
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

At younger DD's third birthday I gave an inexpensive paperbook picture book and a puzzle from the dollar spot at Target.

I've given out microwave popcorn, low $ gift certificates, stickers, notepads and pens, pencils, etc.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    Is there a them of any sort to the party?
    Not really. In remembrance of Electra's recent post on this, I'm one of those people who sucks at throwing parties. DS isn't really gung-ho into any particular characters or TV shows. We're just having a bunch of people over to the house for pizza and cake.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did locally baked cookies last year as a goody. But there were no kids with FA's. I"ll be watching this thread for ideas for this year
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD gave her B-day guests helium balloons -- you could match your color to your theme (ours were yellow smiley face balloons -- fun and in keeping with our quasi-hippy dippy 70s love children image).

I'd suggest making them all the same color, and keeping them hidden until guests start to depart. We went to one party where guests selected their balloons at the beginning of the festivities, and it was just a PITA to keep up with which ones had already been "claimed," and by whom. Poor DD chose 4 different times, only to have kids run up and snatch it away from her saying "That's mine!" Boo.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like the idea of coloring books or stickers or other things the kids will really play with.
    We've done just a large decorated cookie, too. I don't like goody bags, either, so I know where you're coming from.

What about sidewalk chalk or a frisbee or something, given the time of year? These things get hours of use at my house.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We're just having a bunch of people over to the house for pizza and cake.
    So make it a pizza theme. Have pizza slice shaped invites, they sell "pizza" party supplies, make the goody bag a jar of pizza sauce and a recipe for or ingredients for dough (depending on how ambitious you are).
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

At that age, we did crayons and a coloring book for DS. For DD, they got dress-up skirts that I found on clearance.
    Kris

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What about a match box car? I remember seeing them at Kroger with the 10/$10 stuff. Homemade play dough? Bubbles?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast