Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Goody Bags

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    At younger DD's third birthday I gave an inexpensive paperbook picture book and a puzzle from the dollar spot at Target.

I've given out microwave popcorn, low $ gift certificates, stickers, notepads and pens, pencils, etc.
    I would not give out microwave popcorn or popcorn of any sort to an under 6 crowd. It is a dangerous choking hazard, more dangerous since it can be aspirated into the lungs, etc. and is not recommended for under six (some peds say 5). We've never allowed it based on our ped's recommendation but a new article was just in the NY Times around Memorial Day about the risk and warnings proposed by the AAP. Just fyi. (My three year old begs for popcorn since her preschool let them have some so it would be a sad day if she got that in our goody bag.)

I try and not do any sort of food or candy. We do nice bubbles that actually work (about a dollar each) not the cheapest since I've been to parties with kids crying when the bubbles suck, crayons, notepads, sticker books, small board books, or for a ballerina party they all got a tutu, wings and fairy wand. Sometimes hair clips or Matchbox cars. We give everyone a balloon when they leave too (three and up) and have some mylar balloons if parents feel strongly about latex - only had one request for mylar so far.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hmm. I guess I did the popcorn for older DD's 7th birthday "movie" party. I was more throwing out ideas for the OP of "non crap" type favors. But one man's treasure is another man's crap.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

DD's party was yesterday and we gave these
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/48859191...page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

They were a huge hit!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Last year I asked people for their favorite favors they have received and this was the great thread that followed:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...y+party+favors

Last year I gave balls, $2.00, plastic playground balls. They were a hit!
    eta- in years past I have done the following:
    -ice cream cones rolled in melted chocolate and decorate with candies and a gc to an ice cream place in the cone. I put them in a clear bag along with a handful of candies.
    -the kids got to scoop up stuff from the pinata- good candies vs the normal crap, bouncy balls and a few slightly better than crap stuff (notepads, stickers...).
    -little wooden treasure chest shaped boxes from Michael's, Hershey's Nuggets, along with some sparkly gems, glitter glue and paint to decorate the wooden box
    -little Gladware snack sized containers decorated with stickers and filled with Annie's graham bunnies plus some shaped crayons that I ordered on Etsy
    -sand pail, splash bombs and a few other appropriate pool toys with a balloon tied to the handle

Beth
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 06-06-2010 at 06:10 PM.

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I ran out of time to find something for DS2's party, so I just gave 2 Costco cookies, tied with a ribbon and a personalized tag. They were a hit and they were EASY!
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

hillview is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Last year we did Usbourn books and they were a huge hit.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

We've done big gertie balls, this year I am handing out inexpesive books (purchased through ds' Scholastic book order), bubbles or sidewalk chalk are also good.

Catherine

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I also hate those goody bags. I've done the following:

1. buckets with shovels and sand toys and the kids' names written outside.

2. playground ball

3. mini board books

4. Melissa and Doug giant sticker book (found them for a little over $3 online)

5. Playmobile figurine (smaller party)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We've done some pretty useful goody bags. Of the top of my head, we've done:

pails and shovels
    watering cans, small pot and seeds
    playdough & playdough mats & sidewalk chalk
    kites & hula hoops (that was for DD#1's party this year -- HUGE hit).
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Dd's friend just gave out workbooks from the dollar store, which I thought was a great idea. Your child is younger, so maybe a coloring book?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast