raj is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default pool safety fence vs. safety nets

I am looking at installing a safety fence or Net in my swimmimg pool. I have a 3 year old and none of us swim. Please suggest if I should install a Fence around the pool or a safety Net that goes over the pool. Thanks for your suggestion.
    Last edited by raj; 06-14-2010 at 11:33 AM.

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A self-closing fence with a lockable gate is a must. I have never heard of safety net. They do have automatic hard covers but I have never seen one IRL and I think they are very expensive. You can also install an alarm that sounds if something falls into the pool but they are not very reliable from my experience.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

raj is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Thanks Donna. A safety net is a mesh type very strong net. It is not automatic.

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I personally would install a fence around the pool. We have an in-ground pool and have a chain link fence surrounding it with a child safety lock on the gates. DD can't reach the mechanism to open the gate.

Even if your child could swim, I think a fence is the safest bet.

I can't seem to visualize the type of cover you are speaking about but IMO they can be a pain to remove (we use a solar cover and it is a hassle to remove). If you can afford it, a fence is best IMO.

We debated this one too since we requested to our homeowners that they install something before we would rent. We went with the removable pool fence. It's much more convienient. With the pool net, you would have to physically remove the net every time you want to get in the pool. It's much easier to have the fence to just open the door! Our homeowners also did a price comparison and it was much cheaper to get the pool fence.

Good luck! I'm a firm believer in pool safety!
    DD1 2/05
    DD2 12/06

3emm is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

i'm so glad you posted... this is on my to do list. i too am considering a mesh fence. my friend had one surrounding her pool when her kids were small and she suggested this website.
    http://www.guardianpoolfence.com/home.cfm?ID=4&PID=17

I haven't contacted them but I plan to. HTH>

good luck.

dms619 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have a large inground pool and we use a regular fence that closes off the entire pool area. I googled the "safety net" and didn't like it at all. First, I would check with your local bldg dept to see if this would meet the code (I doubt it). Most municipalities require a four foot high fence with a self-locking gate. Also, I could see this as very time consuming and annoying to have to open and close with each usage, especially with a 3 yo running about. I know with us, I barely have time to scoop up the wet towels and chase after my dd, let alone have to close up the pool each and every time, which you would have to do with this net as well as the removable fence type.
    Debbie
    Mommy to sweet baby Katie

Just to clarify about the removable pool fence... Ours is removable, but it is drilled down into the ground so the kids cannot remove it. And we don't have to remove it to get into the pool. It's just nice to have that option in case we have a party and don't want the pool fence up, or if the kids get older and we don't need the pool fence anymore. I found this link on Amazon and it looks similar to what we have. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...XBAWFZ6F6H8Y22

Good luck!
    Last edited by jenandbrandon; 06-15-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added link
    DD1 2/05
    DD2 12/06