kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Places to stay and things to eat in Chicago- Loop area.

I am going to Chicago this summer for work and my husband is coming along and we are tacking on a couple of days just to have a little mini-vacation.

I am looking at a few hotels in that area and wanted a few recommendations in the $150-200 a night range. Also, recommendations for dinners out? I have 2 days of conference stuff, but we will have 3 nights on our own for dinner.

We are going to a baseball game and will look up other activities closer to the time.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Last edited by kijip; 06-09-2010 at 01:13 AM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm assuming this is without kids?

chowhound.com has great restaurant recs. Is there some kind of cuisine you're itching to try? One of my favorite places for a nice dinner out is Geja's. It's an old school fondue joint and it is very romantic.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJ View Post

chowhound.com has great restaurant recs. Is there some kind of cuisine you're itching to try? One of my favorite places for a nice dinner out is Geja's. It's an old school fondue joint and it is very romantic.

it's where dh and I had our first date, and where he proposed. The best fondue restaurant ever, with great classical guitar.

Near Wrigley Field is a great little Italian place, Angelina. (I used to live around the corner from it, and miss it terribly). They have the best polenta in the whole world and bread pudding is not to be missed!!
    http://www.angelinaristorante.com/

And if you're a fan of This American Life hit the Golden Apple, a classic 24-hour diner.
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...le?bypass=true

ETA: Geja's was tremendously popular on the weekends (when I lived there), so get there early if you can!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My fave dinner spots are Geja's, Le Colonial and Shine & Morida. Look for reviews in Yelp Chicago.

For hotels, can you link a few within your price range? I would stay in the Gold Coast, Streeterville or River North areas. I would not stay in the Loop.

I also really like to do tea at the Drake and if you want the most decadent Sunday brunch ever, head to the Four Seasons Hotel.
    Last edited by arivecchi; 06-09-2010 at 12:30 PM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post

For hotels, can you link a few within your price range? I would stay in the Gold Coast, Streeterville or River North areas. I would not stay in the Loop.
    I am trying to stay close to the conference site because I don't want to have to walk far or get on any transportation for the days I am in the conference. This is one hotel I am looking at, it's just a few blocks from the conference site:

http://www.hotelblake.com/photo-galley/index.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJ View Post
    Yes. We can use a kid free short vacation for sure.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    I am trying to stay close to the conference site because I don't want to have to walk far or get on any transportation for the days I am in the conference. This is one hotel I am looking at, it's just a few blocks from the conference site:

http://www.hotelblake.com/photo-galley/index.cfm
    That makes sense. People seem to like Hotel Monaco and Hotel Burnham in the Loop. I'm not sure what their rates are. I've stayed at the Palmer Hilton. It's ok. I'd probably stay somewhere else.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definitely eat at N9NE. It's in the Loop, and you can walk from your hotel. Great food, beautiful bar area and no kids. Next door is pretty good spa, called Spa Space. Right north of the Loop is River North, where there are a ton of awesome restaurants. In addition, on West Randolph Street, there are a ton of tasty ones too. You can easily walk to those restaurants. Blackbird is fantastic, Carnivale is really fun. Feel free to PM for more specific suggestions.