Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Does anyone else have this issue?

I'm 28 weeks. I think that's pretty respectable in terms of how far along I am. Just about everywhere I go, people ask me how far along I am. Inevitably, after I tell them, the next comment is: oh you have quite a ways to go. Gee thanks. Can't you think of anything more helpful to say? Why don't you say, 'oh wow, you're getting there.' Am I the only weirdo who is immensely bothered by this?

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hey, you're over half way there! You're doing great -- way to go!

Pretty much every comment people made while I was PG was inappropriate. I particularly loved "are you sure of your EDD? You're HUGE!". Um, yeah, thanks. WTF? Like I didn't notice I was freakin' HUGE?!?!

People are just stupid. There is something about being around a PG woman that makes people say even more stupid things than usual.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

At least no one asks me if I will breastfeed. Considering I nursed ds until he was 16 months (would have been longer, but my milk disappeared in my 4th month), I think most people know the answer to that question.

The funny part is that people say 'you have quite a ways to go' right up until they start saying 'WHAT? You're still around?' Seriously, why are these people rushing? I'm not. I have plenty to do in the next 3 months. I'm not ready yet.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Well, at least that is better than "Are you expecting twins?" I got that one a few times. Gee thanks.

28 weeks is great! You are getting close to the finish line!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I actually want someone to tell me I'm huge. I'm measuring several weeks behind & my doctor is getting nervous. The 'wow, you look great!' comments don't help. (I did try to remind him that my biggest baby was 6lbs5oz, but...)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    At least no one asks me if I will breastfeed.

Oh, yeah. Let's talk about that, shall we?

I had a former male coworker give me $h!t for weaning DD#2 at 12m. He was a physician turned lawyer (who actually had never practiced medicine and had not passed his bar exams yet). Like, really, dude. I don't really know you. I don't like you (esp. not after that discussion). And, frankly, they are MY boobs and I'd really rather they not be the topic of office discussion. In the freakin' hallway.

Sheesh.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Didn't you know that everything is everybody's business? You have to please them all at the same time (which is freakin impossible). What kind of childbirth plan you have, how you feed you kid, what they wear, how you discipline...ending off at how much you saved for their college education and wedding. Just wait until after all that caring, you become a meddlesome mother-in-law.

Yeah, that's rude. Like PP said, people say stupid things around PG women. I am very small, so I get these comments: "Really?!? You're so tiny, where is your stomach?" or "I looked like that when I was only 3 months, or 5 months" or "you only have a month left, you're too small." It's like back-handed compliments. I guess I should be happy/lucky I am not gaining a lot or too much weight. My doctor has always said (now I see a midwife) that I was below average to average in weight gain, and my stomach always measured where it should. My mom also gained the same way I am.

It still hurts though! I really don't take it personally and get upset. But it's like they almost want me to feel bad for being so small. I can't help it! I also would never dream of going up to a pregnant woman and saying, whoa! you gained a lot of weight! Are you almost due? It's ludicrous!
    DD 6/10

As long as they keep their hands off...

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm so far along, I dread going out in public. I don't want people to talk to me LOL.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast