Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Travel to Cabo San Lucas with 1 month old.

Our family goes to Cabo San Lucas every October for a vacation. My MIL, FIL, Husband, Mother and this year our one month old newborn! Thankfully my FIL is a pediatrician and allergist, we have a Villa where we will all be staying together. Plus my OBG is in favor of the trip, and our pediatrician (who is not my father in law) is ok with it. No questions on that end.

My question is, how do I get the birth certificate in time to send out for our newborn's passport?

Everywhere I see it says that the hospital will give you an unofficial birth cert when you are released, but this cert can't be used for official documentation. (ie. applying for his passport.) http://www.ehow.com/about_5035229_re...rtificate.html
    On top of that the official birth cert can take up to 6 weeks to be processed by the hospital to the govt and sent to us, PLUS after that we still have to send it out to get a passport! (which takes 3 weeks if we expedite it!)

Let's say everything works according to plan, and I deliver on September 25th. How do I get his passport before we leave for MX on October 21st?

Any help would be so appreciated. I'm lost.

I can't help you with advice on expedited service but I give you a lot of credit traveling with a 1 month old!!! The first few weeks are so EXHAUSTING. Looking back, I can't even imagine being out of my own house for long those first few weeks never mind vacation...good for you if you are able to do it. Although, I wouldn't want to take such a young baby out of the country. I am a bit of a germophob. Sounds like you will have a lot of help (which you will need). Is this your first? Keep in mind, that the first one is usually late (from what I've been told). Wasn't true for me gave birth right on my due date!!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by drako View Post
    I can't help you with advice on expedited service but I give you a lot of credit traveling with a 1 month old!!! The first few weeks are so EXHAUSTING. Looking back, I can't even imagine being out of my own house for long those first few weeks never mind vacation...good for you if you are able to do it. Although, I wouldn't want to take such a young baby out of the country. I am a bit of a germophob. Sounds like you will have a lot of help (which you will need). Is this your first? Keep in mind, that the first one is usually late (from what I've been told). Wasn't true for me gave birth right on my due date!!

i would have no qualms about taking a baby out of the country, but yeah, if ti were me i'd be so exhausted to do or see anything there. at least traveling by air should be fairly easy, since the baby will probably sleep the entire time.

i know passport apps usually take 5 weeks, but u can pay extra $$ and get expedited one that only takes a week or two. you can even make it even faster than that if u have a doctor's note or some other documentation (once, due to a last-minute trip to visit a sick relative, i was able to get a passport within 2 days!)

hope others here have more helpful advice!

Yep, it's the first. I am a bit concerned about traveling with him being young and also the germs, but the rest of the family is pretty relaxed about it... so I'm not going to fret. (just keep telling myself that...)

That's awesome that you were right on schedule! If the first is typically late, I have even LESS time to get him some documentation. phooey!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

^i wouldn't worry so much about the baby being late...that's what everyone told me, "first baby is usually late"... and my son was born 2 weeks early (very healthy, no complications or anything). so hopefully you'll be a bit early or on time and you'l have plenty of time to get everything ready

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    ^i wouldn't worry so much about the baby being late...that's what everyone told me, "first baby is usually late"... and my son was born 2 weeks early (very healthy, no complications or anything). so hopefully you'll be a bit early or on time and you'l have plenty of time to get everything ready
    3 1/3 weeks early here!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think you should:

1) have you hospital submit the birth certificate info ASAP

2) have a passport size pic of your newborn taken

3) fill out the passport application available online

4) have your DH go to the city clerk and get a copy of the BC as soon as it is available

5) have DH immediately run to the post ofice with the photo, the BC and the passport application and pay for the expedited passport service

I actually think going to Cabo with a 1 mo and tons of family sounds heavenly. I'd much rather spend those hard couple of weeks with lots of family to help and in a fab setting. It will help a ton with the baby blues.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    I think you should:

1) have you hospital submit the birth certificate info ASAP

2) have a passport size pic of your newborn taken

3) fill out the passport application available online

4) have your DH go to the city clerk and get a copy of the BC as soon as it is available

5) have DH immediately run to the post ofice with the photo, the BC and the passport application and pay for the expedited passport service

I actually think going to Cabo with a 1 mo and tons of family sounds heavenly. I'd much rather spend those hard couple of weeks with lots of family to help and in a fab setting. It will help a ton with the baby blues.
    I'll get as much stuff as I can done ahead of time.. have it in a folder, and cross my fingers. Oh, and thanks to the advice on the letter from a MD, I'll ask my OBG and see if she can write one, just in case.

We don't do much in Cabo, it's just a way for us Alaskan's to get into the hot weather and drink Mimosas by the pool. Mom and MIL are really looking forward to caring for the baby. I can almost feel those baja winds on my cheeks as I type

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It sounds wonderful. A good friend of mine goes to her family's villa in Cabo a lot and they just went with a 4 yo and 3 mo old twins! She had a great time.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I guess my experience with DD was different from some others. I bf so I was up to feed every 2-3 hours around the clock (2 hrs from when she started her feeding so more like hourly at times by the time she finished a feeding...I was totally exhausted all the time. I thought I knew what exhaustion was from pulling all-nighters in college...that doesn't come close to what I experienced after having DD. I had a lot of help but people around me couldn't do the feedings which seemed like all I did since we had a rough time in the beginning bfing. Not to mention DD was very fussy and wanted to be held all the time. Hated sleeping in her PNP or bassinet. DH walked the floors with her at night so I could get some sleep because the child would not sleep on her own. We had to bring her to our bed some times so DH could get some sleep. She cried every day at our dinner time and was never content being in a swing or bouncy. So someone had to hold her all the time unless we wanted to hear the crying. When she was a few months old we finally found a swing that she liked (the fisher price papasan) and got her to sleep in it at night as well as naps. That was a godsend to finally get her to sleep by herself. I have been told she was a very difficult baby so based on my experience I could not imagine being any where else than home. Looking back I am glad I stuck with the bfing even though it was difficult in the beginning. I have to say DD has benefited...she is 16 months old and has only had 2 runny noses when she was teething.

Now that I've totally gotten off topic!! I didn't want to seem like a sour grape in my original post. I was just writing based on my experience. I hope all goes well with your timing and good luck with getting all your paperwork done on time. Enjoy the grandparents and soak up the nice warm weather!! Wow, that's nice that your FIL is a pediatrician! Don't have to worry since a doctor will be in the house! Best of luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast