Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Baby gate help ... 8 ft opening

We have an 8 ft opening from our family room to our dining room/kitchen. This weekend DS decided to become mobile (eek!). There is one spot that I can mount it on one wall, and directly across from that on the other wall is the window jam, so I need something that can install at an angle. Across an 8 ft opening.

I would love a retractable gate since this is a fairly high traffic area, very visible, etc... and when DS is in bed, etc... we don't need to have it up.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

We had the same issue. I didn't find many that I felt would be sturdy enough. We ended up getting this one. Because of the width, it isn't completely straight, kind of has a point in the middle. Only downside is the doorway isn't wide.

http://www.amazon.com/North-States-M...ref=pd_cp_ba_1

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

is there any way to put a smaller gate somewhere further into the space - like between the cabinets and the wall or something like that? I'm just thinking it's going to be a huge thing to store later on, plus annoying to look at all the time. I love our retractable gates we have in the doorways.

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

North States Metal Superyard.

I'm not sure if this is the same on PP posted, but it was a great investment for us. It can mount to the walls, or it can be used freestanding, as an octagon. We needed 2 extensions because our opening was much bigger than 8 feet. But it is pretty easy to remove (for company or whatever) and worked great. I just took ours down a couple of weeks ago because DD can climb now. She also is less likely to hurt herself now.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We used a Kidco Elongate with 2 extensions across an angled opening. I'm guessing it would work in your situation.

Here's the elongate: http://www.amazon.com/Kidco-Elongate...6394415&sr=8-1

Here's the extension: http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-G24-Safe...6394542&sr=1-1

We just bought this one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...dingMethod=rr&

It's not beautiful, but it's not terrible either. We tried a metal one by Regalo first, but the first one arrived broken and the replacement was broken even worse, so this is what we ended up with. We don't actually have it attached to the wall at the moment, because the "feet" on either side of the gate make it sort of free-standing and Ds isn't big enough to move it...yet! I like that it's flexible and it folds in thirds when you need to move it (not too heavy either.)
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

There have been a few threads about retract-a-gate. I'm pretty sure I started one a while back. I did not end up buying one although people seemed to really like them. I think hillview has one? That might be a good option for you.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    is there any way to put a smaller gate somewhere further into the space - like between the cabinets and the wall or something like that? I'm just thinking it's going to be a huge thing to store later on, plus annoying to look at all the time. I love our retractable gates we have in the doorways.
    It's actually an even wider opening if I went with where the cabinets are at! We've got a 6" wide wall that extends partway across the family room and separates it from the dining room. That's really my only option for mounting something. Directly across from that is the window.

Yeah, I think we're going to have to go the super-yard route, which I'm not thrilled with. I can't find a retractable gate that is long enough.

The gate we got was a Kidco elongate, but it didn't seem like it was going to end up working due to the window issue (and we got it of CL and I'm not sure they gave us all the parts for it).
    DS1 - Oct. '09

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    We just bought this one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...dingMethod=rr&

It's not beautiful, but it's not terrible either. We tried a metal one by Regalo first, but the first one arrived broken and the replacement was broken even worse, so this is what we ended up with. We don't actually have it attached to the wall at the moment, because the "feet" on either side of the gate make it sort of free-standing and Ds isn't big enough to move it...yet! I like that it's flexible and it folds in thirds when you need to move it (not too heavy either.)
    I've been looking at this one - think I might go ahead and order it - thanks!!
    DS1 - Oct. '09