Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My son was an emergency c-section and it was really awful--13 hours of labor only to have him get stuck, then at the same time I popped a 104 fever due to a staph infection I picked up while all this was going on...

Anyway, needless to say, my second c-section was much better. I did go into labor on my own four days before the scheduled c, but the only issue with that (because as soon as I went in they told me I was getting another c, which I wanted, anyway) was that I had to wait four hours because I'd eaten recently. They gave me an epi, so this was not a big deal.

I was much more coherent during the surgery and noticed the pressure and tugging and discomfort of the epidural (when it first went in), which I didn't recall at all with the first one. And I also got super itchy. I did ask for morphine after the surgery, too.

That being said, my daughter nursed right away and with no complications, I got some restful sleep in between nursing her in the hospital--it was a million times better!

This time I am again scheduled but would not be surprised if the little guy decided to arrive earlier. I don't seem very good at keeping babies in place for the full 39-40 weeks!
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    That is so cool! I watched via a mirror to the side, but they really thought I was very odd for requesting that!
    Yes, he was very proud of this "innovation" of his. He told me that he always stands by the patient's head, updating on what is happening and wanted to make the mothers feel more part of the experience, even for a c/s. He was such a nice guy! I was so excited when I found out he was the anestesiologist on-call when DD#1 was born. I couldn't remember his name, but when I saw him, I said to him - your are the Dr with the periscope. He found that very funny.

Also, just to clarify, I did not see any of surgery part, just the child being lifted out.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for all the responses ladies!!

I really want to do a hospital tour this time around, since we didn't make it the first time (DD delivered on a Tues, tour was the next day!) I will have to check and see if there is a special tour for c-sections.

I believe I had stiches the first time....because I didn't have to worry about them after...they just disolved on their own.
    Is there a differenence between and epi (epidural?) and a spinal?? I think I had an epi last time beause I went in with everyone planning for a vaginal delivery.
    DH was also in the room with me when they gave it to me.........which was very comforting as I was having a contraction as they were putting it in!
    Do you think it would be a big deal to have him in the room with me for all of it??

I am really excited about **hopefully** getting to hold DD2 right away. Last time, with DD1 being so early they went through all the special NICU stuff to make sure she was okay..........and then I was shaking sooo badly I was aftraid to hold her because I was worried about dropping her.

Thanks again for sharing your stories!!

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

cindys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had 3 c-sections...1st one was an emergency after being in labor for 14hrs and the last 2 were scheduled.

My story is pretty much the same as everyone elses...

We did take a "What to expect with a planned c-section class" and it was great!

My DH did get to stay in with me and hold my hands while I got my epidural...With the last baby I had to have 2 epidurals..Not fun...

And of course he was in during the c-section and watched it all, took pictures of both babies being pulled out then was able to videotape each baby being weighed and cleaned and then was able to give them their first bath.

I got suturing instead of staples.

Cindy
    Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 19mos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2