GoBlue is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default &^%*&^% British Airways!!!

Okay, I need someone who has real knowledge about BA's position on carseats to help me out here, because I am irritated/puzzled....

Bought a seat for DD (15 months) from Chicago-->London (on American), and from London--> Oslo, Norway on BA. She sat rear-facing in her RA on the Chicago-London flight. I was expecting BA to make me seat her FF (per their website), but was STUNNED when they asked how old she was, and then informed me that children less than 18 months old must be on a parent's lap for takeoff and landing. WHAT?!?!? Those are the most dangerous parts of the flight! I informed them that this was ridiculous, that children are clearly safest in their seats, etc. They didn't budge. So her EMPTY CARSEAT sat next to me as I held her in one of those ridiculous baby loops and prayed for safety.

On the way home when they asked how old she was, I smiled and said 18 months. Again, they said that she is too young to sit in her car seat for takeoff and landing. WTF?!?!?!?!?

So......

1. What's the TRUTH here? What are the real rules??
    2. Based on WHAT DATA do the morons in the UK conclude that infants are safer on a parent's lap than in their child seats?

From now on, when we travel abroad we will make our connection in the US so that we only fly US carriers......Had DD gotten ONE BRUISE because she was on my lap rather than in her seat, despite my protests, I would have sued the everliving you-know-what out of BA. Oh, and just for kicks.....they wanted me to put her in the middle seat, and they lost my stroller. MFers....

Thanks for listening....looking forward to hearing what others know/have experienced.

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That is nuts! It definitely wasn't a fluke, though. Tons of results for it in a Google search.

Check this out:
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...1071114AArXC9u

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/child/public/en_gb
    I'm guessing they are treating a car seat like one of their carry cots/infant seats?
    The carrycots and infant seats cannot be used when the seat belt signs are on.
    Very strange.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yup European carriers seem to be very ANTI carseat. Strange and annoying.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07