Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Buying used honda odyssey-any particular year we need to avoid?

We are thinking of buying a used honda odyssey van. I sort of remember there were some recalls on the van? Since we are buying used any particular year we need to avoid? Specially for the latch for car seats? I have a britax boulevard right now in my present car but would like to get the same seat or a radian xtsl for the new one. ty

We have an 06 Honda Odyessey. With 80k on it, it still runs like it's brand new, but there's no way to open the trunk remotely, and I think more recent models have that feature. Latch has been standard since 2000, so I don't think that will be an issue for you.
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Check out Consumer Reports, but I think 2006 and 2007 were the years to avoid. You are so smart to buy used. I wish more people realized what a smart decision this is.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There were issues with the transmissions - we have a 2000 (purchased in 2005) and they replaced the transmission for us in 2007 (at no cost to us). I know that the 1999 was kind of a lemon (for Honda's) but you probably aren't looking at one that old!
    We have 185k on our 2000 & it's doing great!

2005 only has one tether anchor in the middle of the third row, ever other model year either has three or you can add two to the sides to make three top tethers. I'd avoid 2005 if it were me (I'd say if you have more than one kid, but shoot, I put my kids in every position for every reason in my 2003, so it's pretty limiting even if you only have one kid!)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm on my 2nd 2007 Ody (first was a lease- LX & now we bought a used one- Touring). For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want to avoid that year. I love it so much.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

09 has the trunk button for moms who need more arms!

We found that lower miles used Odysseys were very hard to find, and they weren't priced much lower than brand new with a full warranty and all the options we thought we would use over time. The pickings were very slim, and we live in a family-friendly area. I think people who buy minivans usually have kids and plan on keeping their vans for a good 7 years or so.

The navy in maybe 06-08?? was recently recalled for paint. My 2009 navy one was not, though.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a 2006 that is not on any recall list. I had thought it was, but it turned out that 2006 was a year not recalled (for the most recent recall on the Odyssey--can't remember what it was for though).

The only thing I wish I had was the trunk that opened and shut automatically (not an option on a 2006). Otherwise, the car is FABULOUS. Captains chairs have LATCH and LATCH center int he 3rd row. There are 5 tether spots in the 2006 also. It's so nice to have options for carseat placement.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    We found that lower miles used Odysseys were very hard to find, and they weren't priced much lower than brand new with a full warranty and all the options we thought we would use over time. The pickings were very slim, and we live in a family-friendly area. I think people who buy minivans usually have kids and plan on keeping their vans for a good 7 years or so.
    We had the exact same experience when we went to buy an Odyssey. It just didn't make sense financially for us to buy used. And that says alot when we are talking about us - we've NEVER bought a new car until that Ody. I think we are in the same general area as WatchingThemGrow.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post

I agree. I would have gladly bought used, but saving only $4k for a 3 year old van with 50,000 miles on it didn't make sense. I'm happy paying a bit more and having a nice warranty and zero miles on it to start.
    Kris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast