Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Making baby food

For those who make their DC's food, do you use an appliance like the Baeba or the First Years steamer/processor, or do you just use a steamer basket and food processor? I'm wondering if I should buy something or just make do with what I have on hand. I need quick, easy, and fast cleanup.

Also, what veggies did you start with? DD isn't taking to cereal, so we are going to try veggies and return to the cereal later.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I used a steamer basket and my kitchen aid processor. I didn't want to buy an additional appliance and I doubted it would work better than my kitchen aid.

My DS hated cereal, but loved avocado. I then learned in some countries avocado is a first food. Therefore for my DD, I started with avocado. It took her a little bit, but then she really took off. You can later mix it with other veggies like sweet potatoes. Avocados have all the great fats for brain development, and it made sense to me to try to get my kids to eat something nutritionally worthwhile instead of nutritionally empty like rice cereal. Of course, we do not have food allergies in my family or I might feel differently. The other fun part is once they are ripe (leave on counter until ripe), they are lightening fast to prepare--cut in half, scoop out, and mash with a fork.

Today at almost 5 yo and 2 1/2 yo both kids eat avocados almost daily, and really enjoy them.

To make them a bit more affordable, try a latino or Mexican market. Mine are half the price of the traditional supermarket and much higher quality.

Good luck!

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I use a steamer basket and food processor. I also bake a lot of DD's food (squash, carrots, yams, sweet potato, apple, peach, pumpkin). I bake a bunch of stuff at once. I found that after baking, I can mash most of the food with a fork. So, even though the baking takes more time and there are several pans/dishes to wash, it may be more efficient than steaming and pureeing one food at a time.

For vegetables, I started DD on sweet potato, yam and squash.

I used a 2-level steamer that I bought on sale at Kohl's - think it was $18. I alredy had a food processor. We just steamed then pureed in the processor. I used the steamer to do large batches or to do two veggies at once. Worked well for us.

We also started with avocado, in addition to the usual suspects of sweet potatoes, squash, peaches, pears. I used the wholesomebabyfood.com site for guidance on what & when to introduce new foods.
    -----------------------
    Karen

I used a steamer and food processor or fork if its soft enough. DS also isnt a fan of cereal but when I mix it with something else he will eat it. We started with Banana which you dont even have to cook, just mash it up, pear, apple, and sweet potato. I make a bunch at once and freeze it in ice cube trays then put the cubes in labeled freezer bags. Super convenient!

I will also plug wholesomebabyfood.com, thats where I got all my info. Making my own food is saving us $$$ I buy the produce all organic and about 25-30 meals costs what maybe 5 would buying at the store.

Thanks everyone! I have glanced at that website before, but I'll look at it more in depth tonight. I love the idea of starting with avocados. I never thought of that, but DD could definitely use all the calories she can get. And I like the banana idea too--for some reason I thought I had to start with broccoli or spinach, but I like that avacados and bananas don't require cooking first. This will work well for us until we get the hang of the solid food thing. Thanks again!!!

once you have introduced both bananas and avocado, these make a great combo... DD loves it! but be careful with banana... we just had our first bout with constipation. i gave her prunes yesterday, and... lets just say they take their job very seriously. WOWEE!!!
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

To cook:
    - steamer
    - pressure cooker
    - oven

To process:
    - magic bullet
    - fork
    - hands/fingers

baking ALWAYS makes the food taste yummy
    HTH

mg23 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by suomi777 View Post
    My DS hated cereal, but loved avocado. I then learned in some countries avocado is a first food. Therefore for my DD, I started with avocado. Good luck!

Hello! My DD is 4 mths old and my doc wants me to start her on cereal now..I was planning on waiting till the 6mth mark, but the doc said to go ahead and start now. Does anyone know if its OK to start the avacado regimin at 4mths, or is that too young?

Quote Originally Posted by mg23 View Post
    Hello! My DD is 4 mths old and my doc wants me to start her on cereal now..I was planning on waiting till the 6mth mark, but the doc said to go ahead and start now. Does anyone know if its OK to start the avacado regimin at 4mths, or is that too young?
    I think it is okay depending on the child--how much they are drinking and how well they are growing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast