Default Ruptured eardrum?

When I went to get DS out of his crib this morning, there was a reddish/purplish dried, spot about 2-3 inches in diameter on the sheet. It had soaked all the way through to the mattress protector too. I thought that it was a leaky diaper accident, but DS only had a wet diaper, no poop, and his sleeper was fine. Could that have been a ruptured eardrum? I haven't detected a fever or ear-pulling, and DS hasn't been particularly congested or runny nosed. I'm kind of worried b/c we are leaving on vacation tomorrow, by plane, naturally. We won't be back home for a month, so we can't go see the pediatrician. I can't think of what else that spot of dried fluid could have been; it only occurred to me just now. Thank goodness we skipped swim lesssons today. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is there any thing crusty around your kiddos ears? When my DS's ruptured there was some more yellow-ish crusty drainage in/around their ears. Was/Is your kiddo having any sleep issues. Typically for us that was a major sign of ear trouble.

Could you call the ped first thing in the morning and ask them to squeeze you in since you are getting on a plane. If the ear drum is ruptured they usually give you ear drops and then want to see them around 2 weeks later to check and make sure it's healed.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DS had ear wax like that once. He had so much that it leaked out of his ear & onto a sheet. But the spot wasn't that large. I would definitely call the ped.

Nose bleed from the dry air due to air conditioning? I would look up his nose with a flashlight and see if there is any dried blood.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Cutting a tooth? When DD1 would have a tooth erupt there was sometimes a slightly blood tinged droop in her crib.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Lolabee is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

It couldn't hurt to check with your Pediatrician to see if she wants you to bring in your baby to take a look. That being said, I recently had a ruptured eardrum a few months ago and the pain was so excruciating I could hardly even function. I would expect a baby would be pretty miserable if he had the same condition.

Good luck, and let us know what your ped had to say!

MMEand1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DS had a ruptured ear drum and he was in horrible pain. The "leakage" was a nasty green/yellow, not so much blood colored. I would probably check with the ped just to clear up any doubts.

Default Rupture?

You know if the ear drum ruptures. Your child CRIES with pain (all night in our case). Been there, done that 3X (that is another story - medical reason for the ruptures!)

The discharge is not like you described. It is not red/purple.

We are ear discharge experts sadly, I don't think you have an ear issue.

As it turned out, it was earwax. The pediatrician squeezed us in for a quick check prior to our flight. Both eardrums were fine, but he had a gob of earwax in one ear. The ped said that when it's hot the earwas can sometimes just melt & drain. Eww...but what a relief!