Default Help me with my travel anxiety.....

We are leaving for Hawaii in a little over a week. The 4 of us (me, DH, DS#1 and DS#2) will be leaving from Boston to SF. Then SF to Kona after a layover of a couple hours. DS#1 is 6 and 52lbs. DS#2 is 16m and 30lbs. We only have 3 seats on the plane.

My thoughts/anxiety is about the rules of travel, car seats and the stroller.

Carseats.....
    DS #1 is still in a RN and a GN. He is in a Turbobooster occasionally with his grandparents. I am not having him sit in a seat on the plane. DS #2 doesn't have a seat on the plane but I am planning on taking his carseat (a spare RA) just in case of an open seat. I will gate check it if there isn't an opening. What should I do for DS #1? I'm sure he's big enough for just the backless booster but if it's going to take up that much room in my suitcase - I might as well take the whole turbobooster. Does anyone know if I can check it without paying for it as a "bag"? We are flying united if that helps. Anyone have any tips about getting a booster from point A to B?

Strollers.....
    DS #2 still sleeps in his stroller so a recline is needed. I have a quinny zapp, an UppaBaby Vista, a Valco Quad, and a Maclaren Quest. I'm debating between the Quad and the Quest. The Quad is more plush, has rear air tires and a big canopy. The fold isn't super compact. I could probably take off the wheels and the canopy to make it smaller but that adds time. The Quad is new....I would be so bummed if it was damaged. The Quest, obviously, is a great travel stroller. The RA will fit in it so we don't have to carry that seperately but the canopy is pretty crappy. I wouldn't care as much if it got damaged but the wheels are pretty small. HMMMMM what to do, what to do?

Any other hints for us?
    Colleen
    Mom to 2 DS (5/'04 and 1/'09)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would take the Quest.

I have no clue about the booster being counted as a piece of luggage or not. I think it depends on the airline and I would speak to them directly.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We are heading to Hawaii soon too, I'm not counting on any open seats though. I plan to check our RA50 (in JL Childress bag), and then DS will be in his Avenue on the plane (he has a seat). And I am also prepared to pay the checking fee. It's probably worth asking if there is a rule about checking seats for free but I am guessing they will make us pay the regular baggage fee.
    For strollers, my DD is only 3 so we plan on taking two strollers, a Volo for her and our P3 for DS. I'll gate check both. It's easier to get through the airport that way and then we have both strollers in Hawaii if we need them, but have the option of just leaving one in the condo if we need to.
    I would take the Quest if I were you.
    DD
    DS

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As long as there wasn't too much extra stuff in the checked car seat bag, I've had no problem checking car seats for no fee on united. I used the padded JL childress bag w/ backpack straps.