Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Question recommend comfortable outward-facing carrier for 20lb infant (Update post#13)

so i need a good outward-facing carrier for DS who in 3 weeks or so will be 6 months old and approx 19-20 lbs (he is about 18lb or so now). preferably, one that keeps baby relatively cool and doesn't hurt my back. ideally, i'd like a frontcarrier (not sure if i'm comfortable enough carrying baby on my back yet where i can't see him). i don't know, does this exist?

i have a SleepyWrap which i have used successfully a few times, but 1) he doesn't really like to face inward for more than 5-10 min or so, he likes looking around at people/things and 2) DS sweats A LOT and the SleepyWrap tends to get warm, esp in the summer. also, my DS is pretty huge and HEAVY...wraps seemed to be more designed for newborns and babies who like to snuggle/cuddle...my baby is not a "cuddler" who wants to be held all the time, whenever he wants to be held it's because he wants to see what's going on better...soi think an outward-facing carrier would be best

for that reason, i don't usually use a carrier, but in 3wks we will be going to Toronto for a week and i will have to spend most of the time getting around alone with DS and without a car (DH will be at a conference). I will be bringing a stroller (bjcm) as well, but i figured i will need a carrier for when using public transportation, etc.

any suggestions? i'm fairly clueless about the various babywearing options. i did join a local Babywearing yahoo group in my area, but i'm about 45minutes/1hour drive from all the meetings/get-togethers, so it's hard for me to attend those.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-21-2010 at 02:43 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For outward-facing soft-structured buckle carriers, you're looking at either a pikkolo or the new beco gemini. I know lots of people here love their piccolos. The beco geminis are new, not even sure you can get one right now - some places are taking pre-orders I think.

So I think a pikkolo is your best bet. It may not solve the sweating issue - I think that ALL carriers will be "hot" to some extent, especially if you're dealing with hot summers, since baby is carried next to your body. But - you can always dress baby in less clothing

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I agree. Try the Pikkolo. It's not as comfortable as facing in but definately better than some of the other forward facing options out there.

My 6 mo old is heavier than yours. I can do FF in the Pikkolo for about 30 min tops. Lots of pressure on the shoulders since they instinctively want to reach out and pull away from your body. Thankfully, he prefers facing in.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm going to throw out another suggestion--the Scootababy. The Scootababy is a hip carrier, although the baby can be slid more towards your front or back. I chose the hip carrier for two main reasons: DD hates to face inward,and I carry DD on my hip all the time. The hip carry allows DD to look around---in front of me, behind me, to the side. The carrier is very easy to get on and get baby in and out. The only downside is that the Scootababy is one-shouldered. This isn't an issue for me right now as DD is only 11 lbs.

Forward facing is hard on your body, because the weight of the baby falls away from yours, making the baby feel heavier, and pulls on your back. At 6 mo, you should really try wearing your DS on your back (but not in the Sleepy Wrap, since stretchy wraps are not good for back carries). A high back carry will allow your DS to see over your shoulder (mei tai, and woven wraps work really well). Also check out www.thebabywearer.com

thanks for the replies everyone, so helpful!!

i will probably get the Pikkolo...amazon has it right now and i like the "Georgia" print. the Scootababy looks great too, but yeah, with DS approaching 20 lbs don't know if that is doable on one arm/shoulder. I like how the Pikkolo can go on the back as well..will probably do that eventually as DS gets heavy.

and yeah, i don't expect to be able to carry DS outward-facing for more than 20 minutes or so..i was just thinking of something to carry him in for few minutes here and there (riding subway, going up stairs, etc).

You may want to add the optional support belt when you start back carries...it will really make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    You may want to add the optional support belt when you start back carries...it will really make a big difference.
    thanks, actually i did do some searching on this forum re: best place to buy pikkolo and decided to get it from naturalmomgear.com since it was the same price as amazon, free shipping AND came with free support belt (yay). i agree i probably would have to use support belt sooner than later as my son is already pretty heavy. i'm sure in 1 month back carry is probably going to be the way i usually carry him.

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

be careful with too much hip carrying (i am guilty). it throws your center of gravity and back aliment off. i started to getting lower back pain after 16mo dd reached 18lbs and i carried her a lot. i went to the dr because i couldnt figure out why and dr said it was the way i was carrying her.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    thanks, actually i did do some searching on this forum re: best place to buy pikkolo and decided to get it from naturalmomgear.com since it was the same price as amazon, free shipping AND came with free support belt (yay). i agree i probably would have to use support belt sooner than later as my son is already pretty heavy. i'm sure in 1 month back carry is probably going to be the way i usually carry him.
    Back carry is definitely ergonomically the easiest. The pikkolo should serve you well since it can do most anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast