Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default how hard is it going from 2 to 3?

I'm curious to hear inputs about how hard it is going from 2 to 3? I didn't think 1 to 2 was double the work but that was 3 years ago so maybe my mind has blocked out my utter shock!

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Going from 2 to 3 kids was no big deal here, but my 2nd DS was 4 when DD was born. I think the hardest part for me was starting over again with a baby. Life was beginning to get a little easier before DD...but she is so worth it!!
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For me it was a lot harder with 3 than with 2. This was mainly because everyone had a different scheduele and I had 2 kids and a baby to get out of the house with every morning and get 2 kids to school and all and then I had to do it all over again in the afternoon. That and the sleepless nights made it realy tough for me. After the first year it got much easier as we all got into a routine in the morning. And after the second year it got even easier. I know its not what you wanted to hear but that is my experience. I think that if your other kids are not in school yet it would be much easier. Also having the baby realy brought us closer together as a family and made my other kids more independent.

Jessica.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS2 is not quite 3 months old, so things will likely change as time goes on. For now, going from 2 to 3 has been pretty easy on us, especially considering we did a 400+ mile move when he was about 7 weeks old. So far #3 has been a very chill little guy. Nursed easily, is very content most of the time, etc. I never had that same feeling of total and utter exhaustion (those weeks when it felt like a non stop hangover...) this time around...he slept better, I stressed less over BFing and things like that.

My kids are also spaced pretty far apart (2y10 months between the first two, and 3y3 months between the 2nd two). We homeschool, so they are around all of the time, which has its challenges. However, I don't need to shuffle kids off to school (elementary plus preschool would be a lot of getting kids in and out of the door), and my older 2 spend a lot of time playing together and entertaining one another. When it was just DS1 and DD, I was DS1's primary play mate...he had to be with me all of the time. This time around when I'm busy BFing, etc. the two older kids play. DS1 is capable of helping DD get snacks. Both can get themselves drinks and do things to help around the house.

For me, the hardest part of going from 1 to 2 was "triage" and juggling everyone's needs in the moment...prioritizing, etc. From 2-3 so far that hasn't been as big of a challenge. It is challenging, but so far not much worse than with two.

It was getting easier in many ways before we had #3 (DH and I getting out on a good number of date nights for example), but #3 has been such a joy that we can't complain.

With DS1 I was a first time mom and that was challenging in and of itself. DD had colic from weeks 2-6 and cried every night from 6-9pm straight, but it stopped after maybe 7 weeks or so. #3's early infancy has been pretty relaxed. I'm sure he'll give me a run for my money in a few months though LOL!

Best of luck.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The first several months were hell. Laurel was a horrible napper, a fussy baby, and endlessly hungry. Dora, who barely noticed when Arwyn was born, went postal for several months starting a week before Laurel came. I thought I was going to lose my mind. We finally turned a corner (sorta) when Laurel was about 6-7 months. She was able to sit up on her own and play with toys. Suddenly she was much happier. I also started supplementing a month before, and though she didn't sleep any better during the day she was happier during the time she was awake. She would still wake up to 5 times a night, and that didn't stop until she was about 9 months old and I started cutting back. Now that she is a couple of weeks from her 1st bday I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. She is sleeping through the night, able to play on her own for limited periods, and actually taking a nap. She is still extremely feisty, demanding, and a screecher creature. I suspect if she had been born first or second, we would've stopped with two. OTOH she is SO CUTE, and snuggly, and FUNNY, it has made every moment of lost sleep worth it, and then some.

Now Arwyn just turned 3, and is really hitting her stride with the crazy behavior. She was my mellow baby, but she is NOT a mellow toddler. Just when Dora was finally settling down, she's picked up the slack. There are days when I feel like I'm so done with this. Which I suspect is normal when you have 3 under 4/5. Thank God everyone still naps.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Mine are now 6, 4, and nearly 2. I think going to 3 wasn't bad. I was much busier and had to prioritize better and I swore DS2's first words would be "Just a minute DS...I'm coming!" But, they weren't . I think going to 2 was harder because of having to split attention between 2, but adding one more wasn't bad.
    Kris

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I think going to 2 was harder because of having to split attention between 2, but adding one more wasn't bad.
    I agree with this. When you have one, you are used to being able to focus completely on that one child. It's tough to get used to splitting your attention in different directions, telling your older one to wait, and to put the baby on the back burner, so to speak. Once you have a third, you're used to that and realize that everyone will actually be okay with waiting and sharing your attention.

What was hard, though, was that my oldest had just turned 5 and went to preschool five days a week. Baby was born in December and I had to get all three kids out the door by 9am, drive to preschool, get everyone out of the car and into winter coats and into the preschool building. Then go back and get him 3 hours later. I had my oldest ds trained well to play quietly and/or watch a movie each afternoon while the younger two slept so I could lay down for an hour or so.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

I think it has been the easiest transition out of all of our children. With #1 we were clueless new parents so it was just pure hell, and DS was very colicky with reflux on top of that. We weren't used to having any noise in the house, giving up all of our own time, being on someone elses schedule, etc.
    With #2 it was all about learning to split yourself in two different directions, learning to prioritize (triage as Beth out it) who needs you first/most when the baby is crying and older child wants/needs something too. And the noise increases yet again
    But with #3, somehow you are more mellow, you've been there done that enough, you're used to the noise, the prioritizing, you're over the guilt (mostly) of having to make one child wait their turn, you have learned to multi-task, do the job of three hands with only two LOL!, you know the baby won't die if they have to cry while you use the bathroom...you know? I am much, much more enjoying life this time around with a baby.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Not a ton of experience, but it hasn't been that much different than going to 2. Mine are 6, 3, and 3 months. Now that we've lost the routine of school (oldest finished 1/2 day K), it is hitting me a little more. The main thing is that I officially have ZERO downtime right now - I lost my school time, so now if baby is sleeping during the day and I get the other two occupied I need to do something productive like laundry or clean. I'm a night owl, but with a newborn I need to get myself to bed to be able to get up in the night.

We're muddling through. We've stayed busy and out and about which has helped. The house is not as clean and meals have not been the best, but some of that is survival mode. DH has had a massive project at work, so he's been out of town or working 60+ hours a week since DC3 was born. That has made everything more difficult, but still manageable.

ChefGirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

For me, going from 2 to 3 is very very very hard. DH and I both work full time. Going from a one on one defense to a zone defense is extrememly hard! They are now 7, 5 and 2.5. It is still very very hard!
    Chefgirl
    Mommy to 3 WILD and SWEET kids

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast