Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Private Room or not?

I need to decide this ASAP. I had a private room with DS and was glad I did esp as a FTM, nursing etc. However i never left my room, didn't meet other new moms etc.

This hospital though requires lunch and dinner to be in a central buffet/dining room, so i'll be forced 'out!'

I did hear that if i have a shared room there's a great chance i'll be alone anyway and with the way hospitals turn their rooms around so fast, i might be with someone else for just few hours........

on the flip side, i'm anticipating more visitors this time around, plus my DS who is 7 1/2, and my mom who is in a wheelchair, so space is a concern too!

Ugh!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Private room, for sure!! What if you end up with some totally annoying roommate that yaps on her cell phone all the time, ignores her baby, has constant visitors when you are trying to rest and is just miserably unpleasant? I detest hospitals anyway from a sleep standpoint b/c they interrupt your sleep all the time with pokes and prods and then the loud speaker in the hall...imagine finally sleeping through that only to be woken up by a room mate? I guess I don't crave social interaction more than sleep.

Beth

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I vote private, too. I was too tired after both of my deliveries to care much about socializing. And I would also be concerned about an annoying roommate.

As an aside, how does that work with the buffet line if you are recovering from a c-section or a difficult delivery and are in too much pain to get out of bed yet? Do they refuse to bring your meals to your room? I delivered at different hospitals with my two kids, and neither of them had a set-up like that.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you can afford it - Private room - private room - private room.

You don't know what your labor, delivery and recovery will be like. If it's great and you feel great you can try to socialize at meals - if you're tired you can retreat to the peace and quiet of your room.
    Last edited by jgenie; 06-19-2010 at 11:38 PM.

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Another vote for private...between all the monitors, nurses walking in every hour to check on something etc. I would hate to give up the few moments of peace you actually get while there. I definitely wasn't interested in meeting anyone while there-just my family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomom1121 View Post
    Another vote for private...between all the monitors, nurses walking in every hour to check on something etc. I would hate to give up the few moments of peace you actually get while there. I definitely wasn't interested in meeting anyone while there-just my family and friends.
    The thought of a semi-private room, ugh! Even that buffet line thing wouldn't thrill me. Ugh.

At the hospital where I gave birth, all the rooms were private so insurance covered it.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

PRIVATE.

It's bad enough to have visitors when you're bleeding, and uncomfortable, and constantly having someone checking things out... but when you have a permanent extra person in your room, it's even worse.

Go private!

Another vote for private. I don't want other people bothering me, I wouldn't want to bother other people. Especially if you or the other mom end up with large group of visitors, I wouldn't feel comfortable exposing LO to so many strangers.
    Last edited by fumofu; 06-20-2010 at 02:44 AM.

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would definately opt for a private room. I just want to sleep and spend time with my baby and (some) visitors. My hospital only offers a private room, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Private room all the way. All our rooms were private but if I had to choose or even pay some out of pocket to get a private room I would have.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast