Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks! I knew I'd want a private for all the reasons everyone posted. The hospital where i had DS only had private rooms, all in ones (LDRP). This hospital though still has private and semi-private, though they are petitioning for a huge expansion that would allow for all private rooms.

I'll look into the buffet again.....i'm sure if one is not able to get there they'd get a tray, yikes i sure hope so!

Hmmmm maybe i should have done the actual hospital tour

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by catsnkid View Post
    Unbelievable. Who wants to get up and out to eat, esp after recovering!!! Private. I didn't even sleep well that way the night I went in for induction b/c I kept hearing a baby cry all night. I didn't meet anyone nor, did I really want to. We had LDRP rooms. I heard my neighbor giving birth. WOW. That freaked out my brother who was visiting!!
    Definitely not me. The L & D nurse I spoke to also said something about room service. There are no actual meal times. You call dietary when you are hungry & they bring it. I think that is so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    Private room all the way. All our rooms were private but if I had to choose or even pay some out of pocket to get a private room I would have.
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My hospital did not have semi-private rooms but I would have steered clear of that option if they did have them. I like my privacy especially after giving birth. (I don't even allow visitors.) I also loved the 24 room service! I wanted to stay there as long as I possibly could!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Private! Our hospital has private labor/delivery rooms and then you move up to your private post-partum room. Meals are ordered ahead, you schedule the time for it to come, and they bring it to the room. Even your DH can have a meal delivered (paid for separately)
    DS1 - Oct. '09

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Private. No doubt. Otherwise your DH cannot stay overnight (you may need the help if you have a hard time moving around or have a c-section). You may have to deal with a baby struggling to nurse with a room full of your roommate's visitors. It's not a time to worry about being social, you need to take care of yourself and your baby, and can do that best in a private room.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Private.
    Is there a specific reason you're still thinking about it?

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineandme View Post
    Private.
    I would absolutely, without a doubt, recommend the private option. The only thing that may be barring the OP, possibly, is cost. I know when I gave birth in NYC, many of the hospitals charged somewhere around $400 per night for a private room (some more than that). That's a LARGE chunk of change!! Hopefully, OP is not facing the same cost comparison...

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineandme View Post
    Private.
    Nope not still thinking about it! I called today and it turns out need to request it when we actually go into deliver! Most of their rooms are private though but where I had DS *all* of the rooms were private!

Costs aside, i definitely want private.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

With DD1 I didn't get a room mate until the second day I was in the hospital so the first night was pretty good because I was there alone. The second day was loud in the room once my roommate got in. She had her large extended family there (way more than the hospital policy allowed for but they weren't strict about it), had to have the light on at night, her baby wouldn't feed (which I couldn't really hold against her), and had to sleep with the door open. Needless to say I was happy when they discharged me the next morning.

With DD2 I had a private room. DH opted not to spend the night and honestly I was fine with that. I only stayed in the hospital one night. I kind of wish I would've stayed another night, but I didn't have that many visitors to keep me company and I'd been in the hospital since midnight of the day I had DD2 (so had I stayed an extra day it would've almost been 72 hrs) so I was ready to go home. Having a private room was definitely nice and I highly recommend if that's the norm at your hospital.

As far as the food thing goes as crazy at it sounds it might be nice to leave your room and go and eat in an open area.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast