Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Did anyone use any other birth positions beside laying on the back?

Especially for those who had babies in hospitals.

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No, I stayed on my back.........but I had an epidural, so my legs didn't work very well!
    I did walk around and sit on the bed during contractions though.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't as of yet, but I plan to use hands & knees or kneeling holding on to the back of the bed. My dr is fine with it.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

With DS1 I had a CNM and delivered in a hospital. My one major regret is that despite my birth plan saying I did not want coached pushing on my back, that's what I got. And I wish I had spoken up, DH had, or the doula had. My legs were sooooooo sore the next day (like I had run a marathon) which has not been my experience w/ my other two kids. I *hated* the counting and coached pushing. DS1 was out in 20 mins, I had only a small tear that took a few stitches, but I think I might have avoided that to a degree if we had skipped the coached pushing in a semi-reclined position (name of actual position escapes me). I did NOT enjoy that approach at ALL.

DD was born at a FSBC and I really spoke w/ all of the CNMs there about my previous experience. With that birth I pushed in sidelying and followed my own urges. 2 little pushes and she was out. No counting. I did tell them some verbal instruction was okay to prevent tearing (like ease up...blow...etc.). No tearing that time and much more comfy.

With DS2, I had a home waterbirth and was kinda sitting with knees bent when he came I think? No tears. No check to see if I was "complete" (only cervical check was when CNM arrived and I was 5-6 cm). No coached pushing or any "direction" from the CNM. 2 pushes with one contraction and he was out. Easiest recovery...no need to use a peri bottle, etc. and never had any swelling in my perineum.

eta: totally look into all 4s, sidelying, supported squat, etc.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

yup, hands and knees while I was leaning backwards up on the bed. (does that make sense? The head of the bed was elevated up, and my head/arms were there to take advantage of gravity)

Awesome. 2 pushed and done (verses 3 HOURS of pushing reclined on my back w/ DS)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    With DS1 I had a CNM and delivered in a hospital. My one major regret is that despite my birth plan saying I did not want coached pushing on my back, that's what I got. And I wish I had spoken up, DH had, or the doula had. My legs were sooooooo sore the next day (like I had run a marathon) which has not been my experience w/ my other two kids. I *hated* the counting and coached pushing. DS1 was out in 20 mins, I had only a small tear that took a few stitches, but I think I might have avoided that to a degree if we had skipped the coached pushing in a semi-reclined position (name of actual position escapes me). I did NOT enjoy that approach at ALL.

DD was born at a FSBC and I really spoke w/ all of the CNMs there about my previous experience. With that birth I pushed in sidelying and followed my own urges. 2 little pushes and she was out. No counting. I did tell them some verbal instruction was okay to prevent tearing (like ease up...blow...etc.). No tearing that time and much more comfy.

With DS2, I had a home waterbirth and was kinda sitting with knees bent when he came I think? No tears. No check to see if I was "complete" (only cervical check was when CNM arrived and I was 5-6 cm). No coached pushing or any "direction" from the CNM. 2 pushes with one contraction and he was out. Easiest recovery...no need to use a peri bottle, etc. and never had any swelling in my perineum.

eta: totally look into all 4s, sidelying, supported squat, etc.
    I heard the vertical positions are the best but I am quite concerned about the baby's safety. DC#2 came out so fast that the fluid splashed on OB's face. Would you be comfortable to use the squat position if you were not in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by jammytoast View Post
    yup, hands and knees while I was leaning backwards up on the bed. (does that make sense? The head of the bed was elevated up, and my head/arms were there to take advantage of gravity)

Awesome. 2 pushed and done (verses 3 HOURS of pushing reclined on my back w/ DS)
    So, you held the headboard or your hands were on the bed also? You were still on the bed right?

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    I haven't as of yet, but I plan to use hands & knees or kneeling holding on to the back of the bed. My dr is fine with it.
    Are you afraid that the OB may not be able to catch the baby and of the risk of baby falling to the ground?

Why are you concerned about the baby's safety? If the OB is concerned he can wear a splash guard.

Quote Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
    Are you afraid that the OB may not be able to catch the baby and of the risk of baby falling to the ground?
    I've seen plenty of OBs & CNMs catch babies in nonstandard positions. They are optimal for pushing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast