Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Would you get a new carrier for an almost 18 month old?

We started with a Bjorn, but once he got even slightly heavy, I hated it! Definitely, regret that purchase because it was so uncomfortable for my back/shoulders that I didn't use it much. So I really have 2 main questions: (1) Is it worth it to get a more comfortable one at the pt. when he is almost 18 months now? (I mean, are all carriers uncomfortable once they get heavier?) I think he weighs 22-23 lbs. rt. now...will see at his 18 mth. checkup. & (2) Which one is the MOST COMFORTABLE for your back/shoulders?

So just a little background...I think it might come in handy because DS refuses to hold our hands when he walks. If I take him to the mall or somewhere, he's mostly in the stroller, but starts fussing and wants out eventually. I bought one of those safety harnesses, but once again, he whines & sometimes, throws a fit if he can't go the direction he wants. This is where I thought if I had a good carrier that I'd want to wear, it might be good for situations like that, quick errands when I don't want to take a stroller, or travel. So I've heard good things about the Ergo, Beco, Pikkolo, and someone (not here) mentioned that the Angelpack was a good option for a petite build, which is me. Please, give me your top choice or if you think I'd be wasting my money.
    Mommy to a "Fiery" DS we so lovingly call "The Beast" 12/31/08
    And our newest summer addition DS2 7/8/12

Oh, and I want to add that I want one you can use on the back and front. Thanks again!

We also started with a Bjorn (is there a thumbs down smilie?). And bought a Beco right before DS turned 1. He hasn't been in it much lately, but we certainly used it up until the fall (so, just over 2 yrs), and I expect we'll use it again on vacation this summer (he'll be 3 in Aug.) The waist belt and ability to back carry makes a HUGE difference!!!

My DS has only just started holding hands reliably when we walk, but I took him into a store last week with his doggie backpack on thinking to finally test it (he's refused to wear it as well as hold hands until recently), and he did fine on the sidewalk to the store, but was scared once we were inside so I ended up having to carry him. I'd have preferred to have had the stroller or the Beco since he's just too heavy for me to carry like that for any length of time. Mind you, living in a big city I've used the Beco tons when the store entrances/aisles were either too narrow, or up/down flights of stairs.

So, in my opinion, you'd got at least a year of use left out of a different style of carrier. Maybe more We hike, so we might start using the Beco for that as well.

You might also consider the Ergo, Mei tai, and Pikkolo. There are more with waist belts, but those are the ones that come to mind.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Just wanted to add, obviously we love our Beco. But anything - anything at all - with a waist belt is going to make a world of difference to you after the Bjorn. I actually used the Beco in the front carry at first (which is the less comfortable for your back position) and it was still better than the Bjorn.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Thanks for your input! Have you had any exp. with the Ergo or Pikkolo in comparison your Beco?

We also bought an Ergo (Ok, I did, I'm crazy indecisive like that). I didn't really notice a huge difference comfort-wise between them, but my DH didn't like the whole backless design to the Ergo. The Beco has cuter patterns, but the Ergo has a zipper pouch you can attach for your wallet, phone or keys.

Here's my take on the differences. When you're wearing the Beco there's a piece of fabric between the child and the adult's body. The Ergo doesn't have that. The child rests right against your shirt or whatever, though there are straps here and there. Some people feel more secure swinging a child up to back-carry with that fabric there, though they're really very similar in design. My DH is very sweaty and wanted the extra fabric to absorb all that

I've noticed that women can really prefer the Beco because it can be better for people with smaller frames and narrower shoulders. The Ergo is often preferred by taller, wider people. That's why I bought both initially. I'm an average build, but on the cusp of being tall at 5'7", and my DH has really broad shoulders though he's only 5'11" or so. I thought we were kind of inbetween and I honestly thought my DH would prefer the Ergo. But he just didn't . He does have to leave the chest clip (which isn't integral to safety) off on the Beco because there's no way he'd be able to fasten it. The Ergo has a waist belt extender that you can buy separately if needed. DH is a big hiker and outdoorsman so he's got very firm ideas on what he likes to wear on his back so I didn't question him. I've made my dad (6'2") wear DS in the Beco at times and I think he probably would have preferred the Ergo but he made do, and was very vocal in how much happier he was with it than the Bjorn.

I'd say, having worn both, that they were equally comfortable for me. The Ergo is a bit scary when swinging the child up to the back carry at first, but you get the hang of it. I've never tried the Pikkolo or other similar styles, but I'd imagine they're also fairly comfy because the whole waist belt thing is like a whole new world There's a site often recommended here: http://www.thebabywearer.com/ that you might want to check out as well.

HTH
    DS, Summer '07

So this might be a toss up since DH and I are opposites. Me 5'1 3/4" and DH 6'1 1/2". But I think if he can make do, then I'm going with something that's more comfortable for me since DS is a total momma's boy so I'll be carrying him more I agree that the Beco has cuter patterns. I like the Lenka pattern. Aesthetically, I don't care for the Ergo colors. But that is obviously, not my main concern. The Pikkolo looks really cute in Georgia though and is just ever so slightly cheaper. Hmm??... Are any of these brands ever available for discount on sites? I haven't found any that offers a promo code or anything.
    Last edited by FieryOne1231; 06-23-2010 at 02:25 AM.

I will admit, I was greatly seduced by the cute Beco patterns. Our Ergo was organic cotton in brown because I thought it'd be easier to resell, but their colors are just not as fun - but comfort is more important than fun. The Pikkolo patterns are so cute too!

Back when I was shopping there were occasionally Ergos on slight discount. WTH was the site where I was seeing that??? They were older models, and also returns. I also remember seeing older Beco patterns (they change every season) on a slight discount. I KNOW that someone else on here is going to know the site I mean.

Also, you might be able to find any of these carriers slightly used at various places online. I'm thinking that it might be better to bump this in the am, when people with infants are awake I haven't shopped for carriers since '08. Not that I don't want to help, but I don't want to steer you to the wrong place. But don't worry, there are TONS of savvy babywearing moms on here! Also, don't worry if you decide to order one of each because of your height disparity, try them out briefly, and return. Many places take returns and will refund.
    DS, Summer '07

Oh no...you have been very helpful! Thank you so much. I'm sure I'll be getting even more answers tomorrow when others are awake as you say Off to bed myself as DS doesn't care if mommy went to bed late or not!

Default Toddler Carrier

There are so many options for an 18 month old out there. You might want to check out the TBW website, you can buy something off of FSOT that would be perfect for your baby. My 9 month old is 20lbs, and I'm just getting started. Be advised that the Ergo is not a tall carrier, so if DS is long, it might not work for a long enough period of time for you.

Check to see if there's a babywearing group near you, they might have a lending library where you can try on and even borrow a carrier to see if it works for you.

Ideally, I'd say to try a Kanga XT, but they are VERY hard to come by. Many people like Olives & Applesauce or a Kinderpack. Are you exclusively looking for an SSC or would you consider an MT?

There are so many options out there, you'll definitely find something that works for years to come.

Rebekah

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast