Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Decorating help

Quote Originally Posted by turtledove View Post
    Sigh. I knew I should have thought this through more. I was trying to avoid something to tropical "theme-y". Her baby room was done that way (but definitely different- more beach/relaxing idea, but still). I know I should have thought of that before I bought the quilt with hibiscus flowers on it, but I was hoping to play down that aspect of the quilt. If you look closely only the bright pink and blue squares have the tropical flowers on them. All the other squares are seersucker, dots, stripes, non tropical flowers, geometric design, etc. The more "formal" items are coming in because that is what I tend to like - but doesn't really go in a little girls room. I am having a hard time finding the place between babyish and too sophisticated.
    First of all, I love that quilt. Its really pretty. I agree with PP that the chandelier you chose is too formal, however I dont think you have to go tropical if you dont want to. I honestly didnt even think "beach" or "tropical" when I saw it. I would go with a pretty, girly light fixture....I'll try to find a link to what I mean.

Did you like those 3-d flowers that PP posted (I think it was maylips). i've seen those IRL before and theyre very cool. I think they would be perfect for the room. Whimsical but not babyish at all.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

This is actually not what I had in mind, but what about this chandelier?

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/produ...y=dchandeliers
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like the quilt and the decal (the owl/tree one). I think the colors work and it takes the emphasis off the islandy theme.

However, I do not dig the light fixture - just not my style and doesn't really work with the other things, imo. I would go way more plain, but that is just me.

For other accents, I would just do photos as others suggested, or a mirror.

I don't think you need to add a chair rail or any other paint.

Mommy_Again is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by turtledove View Post
    Thanks everyone for your response! Any opinions on the light fixture? Do you think this vinyl wall sticker works better?
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/49677172...rder=&includes

Or this (in coordinating color) http://www.etsy.com/listing/46326404...rder=&includes

or this (in coordinating color) http://www.etsy.com/listing/46326404...rder=&includes

or this (in coordinating color) http://www.etsy.com/listing/49725584...rder=&includes

Thanks again ladies!
    I love the first one- the swirly hibiscus one. I think if you cap the "tropical" elements to the decal and the quilt, it won't get too themey. Like, don't get a tiki hut lamp, a hibiscus area rug, etc. And I don't mind the chandelier you picked out - we have a similar one from Land of Nod in DD's nursery and while it is sweet, it kind of fades into the background because it's pretty small and sits high up. It's just girly and sweet, so if you like it, go for it!
    DS 2003
    DD1 2009
    DD2 2011

Thanks again ladies! I will definitely pick a different light fixture - I like the one happymom linked to, and I think it works better with the room. I do like the 3-D flowers linked by maylips, and that might look pretty cool over her headboard. I don't want to do a mirror because the dresser I'm refinishing is a triple dresser and has two mirrors that go above it. Any more mirrors would make her vain . I forgot to add I'll probably make a few throw pillows that will help play down the tropical look in the room. Still not sure what to do about the wall sticker. My main reason for looking was to add a bit more color to the yellow walls, but I'm realizing I definitely need to think about furniture placement too since some of these stickers are pretty large.

I appreciate all the input!
    Mamma to a pretty little princess 3/06, a long awaited blessing 6/11, and a sweet surprise 11/13!

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't think you have to go over the top tropically...I don't really like "themey" myself. If you don't want to do anything with hibiscus, play up the dots and seersucker and things in drapes or shades.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

how about play up the dots in the quilt with some big (1-2 ft) vinyl dot wall stickers and some round corkboards and some dots of chalkboard paint all on one wall where she could reach them? that would get away from the flowers.

i love the quilt.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love your quilt, looking at the alternative views, the last one of it alone spread out, to me it could go with anything, IMHO it doesn't have a specific theme.

I like the look of chandeliers in girls rooms, but I'm picky about them. I happen to run across this one on www.hautelook.com earlier today, the colors are darker (maybe the black background), but it is BEAUTIFUL!! It could go into pre-teen years....

http://www.hautelook.com/product/1001852

Its $109 + shipping, they have some other ones that are very nice, I just love the rainbow one, when I saw it I couldn't get over how gorgeous it was.

Just wanted to share the chandelier. Here is the link to the sales event, the lighting starts almost 1/2 way down. It ends Sat AM.

http://www.hautelook.com/event/3014#product_1001852

I also like your original tree with the owls. It looks great on a yellow wall and the dark tree trunk will give the room a touch of a dark color. The ladies across the street told me once every room needs something black or dark brown/blue in it, to settle it. I did it in my Den and saw what they meant!

Other PPers showed alot of great things, I had seen this earlier but was trying to put the pic in the post, it was tiny. It took forever an my battery went down. I didn't realize I could do a link if I'm signed in, I haven't bought alot from Hautelook but what I've gotten has been awesome!

I would be more than happy to refer anyone
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05
    N. and J. - My heart and hands are full!

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, to possibly send you on a dif. tangent I was in target yesterday and they had a cute owl quilt and VERY cute owl velour novelty pillows that would match the decal (which I love).

My favorite look for lighting is the paper lanterns but I have not been able to figure out def. their fire hazard potential.

Also, this is just my taste, and I have a little boy(!), but I have sometimes find that lots of pink plus lots of crystal plus lots of flowers starts to be too much for me. I really like some "grounding" elements in little girl rooms - - in your case i would consider a chocolate brown duvet with pink or yellow polka dot cases and sheets, the target owl throw pillows, and the decal and a girly chandelier. I think that might make the pink pop and duvet is very easy to deal with for making the bed.

Though I am an outlier on this - - most people and little girls especially love the layered pink look!

BTW, here are some of the pillows though there was an additional one not featured here that I really liked (or maybe it was a stuffed animal but it was with bedding) that was owl shaped.

http://www.target.com/s/191-7329918-...1&searchPage=1
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2