Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dotgirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Rolling Carry On For Kids?

I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions for a rolling carry on for a child. We're planning a driving trip of Ireland for next year, which means we're limiting everyone to one carry-on and one "backpack" - both to cut down on baggage cost and because we won't have a tonne of room in the car we rent.

DH, DD and I all have "standard" size carry on that we can use, but I'd like to find something our (will be) 7 year old DS can handle on his own - I'd like to be smaller than usual, but sturdy (hard sides?) but still big enough to hold enough cloths.

Does anyone have any recommendations,thoughts, advice?

Thanks!
    - Penny
    DD: Britt (03/22/93)
    DS: Riley (11/04/03)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

How about a rolling backpack? My older DD has used her LLBean rolling backpack that she uses for school as her rolling carry-on. she has the Deluxw, which is pretty large.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Okay, so they're probably not practical, but I totally want a trunki for DS.
    http://www.trunki.net/

I have a love affair with vintage (70s) samsonite hard-side luggage, and this is like a samsonite suitcase and a pixar movie had babies. I love that they can ride on them.

ETA: here is a link to a pdf brochure that has lots of good pictures.
    http://www.trunki.co.uk/upload/fichi..._trio_spec.pdf

ETA2: just noticed that your DS is 7, don't know if this is too young for him or not...
    Last edited by larig; 06-28-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    How about a rolling backpack? My older DD has used her LLBean rolling backpack that she uses for school as her rolling carry-on. she has the Deluxw, which is pretty large.
    I thought about that, but I'm worried a backpack won't be big enough for the clothes. We're looking at an 8 day trip and we should have a couple of chances to do laundry, so we're planning to bring 4 days worth for everyone.
    - Penny

Quote Originally Posted by larig View Post
    Okay, so they're probably not practical, but I totally want a trunki for DS.
    http://www.trunki.net/

ETA2: just noticed that your DS is 7, don't know if this is too young for him or not...
    They are adorable, but they look like they're more made to be pulled by an adult and ridden by a child? Also, worried they might not hold enough.

(I also love 70's samsonite, btw!)
    - Penny

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think that the deluxe LLBean rolling backpack would easily hold 4 days of summer clothes for a 7 year old.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My dd has a rolling backpack that she has brought on many trips. I think i got it on ebay. It was a hello kitty one.

I think that the deluxe LLBean rolling backpack would easily hold 4 days of summer clothes for a 7 year old.
    Well, this will be Ireland in April, so I think we'll need to plan for warm and cold weather, which is why I'm hoping for a more "regular carry-on, but smaller" type of scenario.

I do plan to get him a small backpack that *can* be rolled if needed for his actual "personal" item - for books, games, etc.
    - Penny

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Is this what you pack for the kids usually for a carry on? What does it hold for them?
    Thanks!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Default We have a trunki

Quote Originally Posted by dotgirl View Post
    They are adorable, but they look like they're more made to be pulled by an adult and ridden by a child? Also, worried they might not hold enough.

(I also love 70's samsonite, btw!)
    We have a Trunki (gift!) and while it is cute, it is very small. We use it only when we visit the relative who sent it to DD.

It is VERY SMALL and would not work for what you are looking for. 2yo DD can ride it, my 8 yo's knees would be above his head if he tried. I usually pack my slr camera bag in it and not much else. She rides it and then it goes in the overhead. Too hard to use for anything you need to get into on the plane.
    Susan

Thatcher Bennett 9/01
    Ava Grace 9/07

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast