Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thumbs down missing out on social events

i swear, it's Murphy's Law. for some reason, it seems like most of the time I get to invited to social events (which rare these days, as a SAHM), it's a day/time I can't go, or something comes up, or whatever. Argh.

i was just invited to a BBQ this weekend (to see a teacher & classmates i haven't seen in 6 months and introduce my son to them) but i can't go because were are going to be out of town at the IL's this weekend (not that i dislike them or anything, but i'm still pissed that i can't go to this).

today a friend invited me to go to the movies this evening but i can't go bc my DH is out of town and i have no one to watch DS.

we don't know our neighbors very well, and have always wanted to get to know them better. well last month we were invited to our neighbor's pool party one afternoon. we had really wanted to go but then that day since we were busy running so many errands DS was having issues with napping and he went down right before the party was supposed to start...so he slept thru the whole party and we figured it wasn't worth going 2 hrs late

and last month on meetup there was a shopping get together that i was super excited about. it was a weekend we would all be in town so i thought it would be ok. i arranged for DH to watch DS while i was there, pumped, made a bottle etc and made the 45minute drive there. i ended up getting to the event 10 minutes late and even though i tried calling the organizers etc i couldn't reach them and i ended up missing the entire event. all that preparation for nothing.

i know this is a lame-a$$ complaint compared to other things, but i just get so frustrated when things like this happen. like a month or two will go by with me itching to do something that involves me getting out of the house and socializing with adults. then finally i will get invited to a party or other event, and it turns out it's the weekend we're out of town, or it's the weekend we have family visiting, or something else comes up and i end up missing out. BOO. and we don't even go out of town THAT often (maybe 4-5x a year) and we RARELY have family visiting (like 2-3x a year). but for some reason, those events seem to align with every other party/social event out there.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

TOTALLY understand. Imagine trying to do social events when you have 3 DC!

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I feel your pain! I'm a WOHM and it seems like so many of the mommy-child events are only during the day. Frustrating!
    DS1 - Oct. '09

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is 7 months old and I keep thinking of returning to work just for the social interaction. I don't think being a SAHM is for me. The lack of mental stimulation is a huge drain for me - I only survive because DH and I have a once a week date night in public and I take night classes. Is it possible for you and DH to do a date night? We go play pool with some friends and love it, very destressing. We had to make friends to do it and they really are our pool hall only friends but they can hold a converstation better than baby boo and we really do enjoy our time out of the house. You could do anything that is a social place - pool, bowling, pottery class, concerts, dance classed (we've done it a.l.l.)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My oldest turned 6 in April and I haven't had a social life in six years. I WOTH FT, rarely take lunch and when I do, its to run errands or go to dr's appts, etc. On those rare occasions when I actually *could* go to a social event, something invariably comes up. Murphy's law.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thx everyone for the responses. makes me feel better than i'm not the only one. and i only have one kid..indeed, must be so much harder when you have more kids, especially once they get older start school (and all weekends/evenings are taken by soccer practice, lessons, etc).

i love being a SAHM but sometimes the lack of social interaction with adults really gets to me. however, i can see how being WOHM would be hard too since all your evenings during the week are no longer free, since you have to use that time to run all your errands, make dinner, spend time with kids etc.

a date night is a good idea. it's been about 3 months since DH & I went out by ourselves. this weekend we have planned to go out alone while the ILs watch DS. we could really use the time to ourselves.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

For social interaction, I find it helpful to have a few mommy friends you like - and whose kids play well together. WE decide if we can get together during the week and where/when. It's clearly not just a playdate for the DC. It's like therapy for us - just at the science museum or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Andi98989 View Post
    I feel your pain! I'm a WOHM and it seems like so many of the mommy-child events are only during the day. Frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    My oldest turned 6 in April and I haven't had a social life in six years. I WOTH FT, rarely take lunch and when I do, its to run errands or go to dr's appts, etc. On those rare occasions when I actually *could* go to a social event, something invariably comes up. Murphy's law.
    and

WOH means work all day long, never take a lunch unless you desperately need to get something done you can't do after work and trying hard to find a balance. Not that I am complaining, there are lots of things about working at home that I like, such as hanging out in my pjs for as long as I want. :P I do hate that I am part of a playgroup and I never get to go to anything because every event seems to be somewhere between 10am-2pm. I am working on adapting so that I can have some social interaction with people. Sometimes hubby will watch the baby on the weekends for a little bit or in the evening for a bit so I can have dinner with a friend etc. We also try to do things as a family on Sundays sicne he works on Saturdays (thus making my Saturday also antisocial unless I bring little man along!).
    Sorry that is frustrating!

~ wait does is it WAHM or WOHM, lol I work at home I guess WOHM would be out of home, like at an office. Well, same issue still! :P
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Andi98989 View Post
    OMG, yes, but that's another b!tch for another day!!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I have found it's getting easier now that my youngest is almost 2. But, it's still not easy.

A few weeks ago, I posted about how much I like DS1 being in soccer. I took him to practice every week. It was an hour and I loved sitting and chatting with the other moms there. Seriously, it was my social interaction of the week sometimes!

I hope it works for you and Murphy stays away for a bit!
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast